I'm so irritable!

What do you do when you get super irritated?? I’m stuck in the car for 6 hours with my bf and it’s only the first day of our holiday and I want to strangle him. I feel like drinking would help me calm down and not punch him. I dunno if we’ll really get a chance to spend time apart this trip. He thinks I’m mean, felt like he needed to tell me that. Help please, ugh.

2 Likes

Sounds like a personality conflict…his personality, your conflict.

1 Like

OMG HEADPHONES YES. Or nap. I got tunnel vision and couldn’t think of alternatives, thank you! Lol

1 Like

Yeah. Or just my personality. I just don’t get the labeling. He didn’t say, “you’re being mean,” he said, “you seem meaner,” which makes me feel like he’s decided that’s now a fixture of my personality.

I feel like I’m starting to build up more clarity about our relationship. I just hope no one’s feelings get hurt but it seems inevitable at this point. :frowning:

Yes, this is an interesting turn of phrase. “Meaner” implies an escalation of a previous state. Were you mean before?

If you are anything like me drinking would only escalate the conflict. Your anger toward him would still be there, but magnified. Plus your lowered inhibitions would make you more likely to lash out.

If alcohol is the answer, what the fuck was the question?

4 Likes

I deal with anger a lot. What really helps is asking forgiveness as soon you realize you are wrong or unfair. It is hard but works!!!

1 Like

Another good think that works is sense of humour. Try to look for the funny part of the situation. Sometimes when we are upset we look really comical

1 Like

Yeah, I have no problem apologizing, and I mean it, but I know I also am sick in a loop of habitual responses to him that mean a lot of sorry’s are coming out! I was a lot quieter today. Seemed to help a little, but I think things are just over. Thank you for the helpful words. <3

1 Like

I think my friends and family would literally murder me if I said I’m sorry one more time. I’ve said it so many times but always went right back to the same behavior. It’s not that I didn’t mean it when I said it because I genuinely was sorry and really meant it when I said I was going to do X again. But that’s the nature of addiction. It forces us to do things that we know we shouldn’t do and definitely don’t want to do.

At this point in my recovery sorry is a useless word coming from me. What I need to say is that I was wrong and show them I’m sorry by not being the person I was during active addiction.

2 Likes

You are welcome. Praying for the situation

1 Like

This answer is right too. Taking action is necessary