In your honest opinion and own words

Bookmarking this. Thanks. It hits home

1 Like

Iā€™m an alcoholic bc Iā€™ve never had a problem with drinking, until the day I wanted to stop.
Thatā€™s the same day I found out I had a drink problem, what a coincidence.

4 Likes

In that case, I can only call myself a problem drinker, I always had a life that I clung to and wanted to make more of.
However, on the alcohol abuse scale I tick lots of yeses (that is the plural of yes, I just had to check!) and sure as shit stinks, cannot have one drink.
I agree there is a scale with problem drinking on one end, alcoholism on the other, much like the autism spectrum has replaced the dichotomy of autism and Aspergerā€™s.

1 Like

Im defined an alcoholic because i was drinking despite negative consequenses.
Funny enough i didnt have a drinking problem but my wife had a problem with my drinkingā€¦

I was an " ashole when i drank"
And now i am still considered an assholeā€¦ so not sure alcohol was the problemā€‹:rofl::rofl:

But i do like being sober

2 Likes

My opinion is similar. Itā€™s a very gray area.
At the end of the day thatā€™s just my opinion

THIS!! This is my story. I never had a problem with my drinking and I never thought I was an alcoholic.
that is Until I tried to stop and I couldnā€™t. What I mind blower that was

2 Likes

@SassyRocks that is such a great question and all my posts will be for anyone that feels the inspiration to reply to them . I love looking at all point of views and perspectives

3 Likes

Story of my life!

Drinking is an activity that a lot of people can participate in, on a moderate level.
I am not one of those people.
I am not addicted to booze but it is a problem for me, was a problem for me, and always will be a problem for me.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks!

I do not label myself an alcoholic. I had a very long standing and unhealthy relationship with alcohol for many years, as I have had with cigarettes, cocaine, sex, various drugs/pills, sugar, food and shopping (probably more, but you get the drift). I sought escape thru all of these things. Some of these escapes I became addicted to, but mostly I wanted to numb my feelings. Especially after my first husband tried to kill me before killing himself. That was a lot of feelings and a lot of grief for me as a young person.

An alcoholic is someone who identifies themselves as an alcoholic. An alcoholic may have a physical and emotional dependence on alcohol.

A problem drinker is someone whose relationship with alcohol is causing difficulties in their life.

For me, my question is more, how do I heal this hole I welcomed into my life for so long. The drinking is only a symptom, one of many over the years, of the internal longing for peace and wholeness.

For me, it isnā€™t just about alcohol, it is the underlying mental and emotional health issues I have to heal and recover from. Alcohol abuse was a symptom.

YMMV

4 Likes

If drinking is interfering with your life, you are a problem drinker.

If life is interfering with your drinking, you are an alcoholic.

For many, many years, I was a problem drinker. Then one day I realized that somewhere along the way, I had become and alcoholic.

1 Like