In your honest opinion and own words

On my last post i presented a question and got some great responses ( thank you all ) . Today i would like to highlight one of those responses where the person brought up a problem drinker vs an alcoholic . In your honest opinion do you consider yourself a problem drinker or an alcoholic? Also in your own words ( not anythong politcially correct etc ) how would you define a problem drinker and how would you define an alcoholic ?

LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM EVERYONE :sunglasses:

1 Like

not my own words, just things ive heard at aa which i found true of myselfā€¦

normal people change their behaviors to meet their goals, alcoholics change their goals to meet their behaviors.

if your drinking is interfering w your life you might be a problem drinker, if your life is interfering w your drinking you might be an alcoholic.

11 Likes

@Fargesia_murielae i hope i didnt come off like i was trying to engage in THAT, totally not my intent.

1 Like

i hear you for sure. i guess i like those sayings because i think in some cases a person mind find they identify as an alcoholic and then perhaps give more thought to the severity of their situation which they may not have when considering themselves non alcoholic previously.

i see your point and agree w you also though

1 Like

The big book refers to it as a hard drinker. A hard drinker given sufficient reason can stop. It may be difficult for him he may even need medical attention. But if a warning from a doctor, threat from a jude, or spouse, boss, becomes operative the hard drinker can stop. The real alcoholic canā€™t. That is correct, 3rd tradition. The difference becomes relevant when your choosing a sponsor or taking advice. Obviously weā€™re canā€™t transmit something we havenā€™t got. I hear people say just donā€™t drink. Or I woke up today and chose not to drink. Iā€™m a real alcoholic and for me thatā€™s not a solution. I was only able to recover as a result of working the steps. I had to have a spiritual experience to recover. A hard drinker doesnā€™t need a spiritual experience.
You can find this at the bottom of page 20 and top of page 21 in the big book

1 Like

Simply this, if you canā€™t can drink just one drink you might be an alcoholic.

Iā€™m an alcoholic, have been since my first drink at 12. You donā€™t have to drink every day to qualify for alcoholism, itā€™s more of an affliction than a behavior. I havenā€™t has a drink in a year and a half, but if I drank right now, Iā€™m still an alcoholic.

For me, a problem drinker and alcoholic is one in the same, just one is in denial. :wink:

4 Likes

@Vybez315, Is your topic directed only at those who follow and believe in AAs interpretations / guidelines or is it open to all forum members opinions? Just want to be clear. Thanks!

Edited to post to OP, which I forgot to do.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty much my point. I spent 20 years trying to just quit. I was a chronic relapser. Just stopping was not a solution for me. I tried it nearly to death. Iā€™m not degrading what worked for you. It doesnā€™t work for me. Therefore I wouldnā€™t ask you to sponsor me, or give me any guidance in my recovery, because your solution is not a solution for me. I could die if I thought that could work one more time. Ive been in NA/AA since I was 19. (Minus the 10 years I was incarcerated, where I couldnā€™t stay clean from drugs or alcohol either). I never did the steps. Tried to manage on self will. It just didnā€™t work for me. Thatā€™s my experience. After doing the steps and having a spiritual experience. The obsession was removed and Iā€™ve finally got real sobriety. Again to each there own.

I was born a full blown alcoholic. My disease was triggered when I had my first drink at 10 years old. For the next 22 years the obsession and compulsion to drink consumed me. It spread in to severe drug addiction as well. I was completely defenseless against drugs and alcohol. If it was in front of me I was going to consume it, consequences be damned. Nothing, except my HP and the 12 steps has ever been able to keep me sober. Iā€™ve been arrested, beat up, shot at, robbed, overdosed, suicidal and homeless. None of those dire consequences kept me sober for even a day.

3 Likes

Iā€™m sharing my experience for 2 reasons. 1.Concern for others like me who could die from this fatal progressive illness.
2. Because this is ā€œmy experienceā€ and therefore itā€™s not debatable.
Itā€™s just facts of my experience with alcohol.

I thought your first comment was pure gold les,I know that the whole subject runs way deeper than that but that was a simple way for someone to identify if they may have a serious issue that they need to try and deal with. The same statement could apply to drugs aswell though nobody should really use drugs at all unless there is a genuine medical reason to. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Quick question for the AA,era, how long a stretch of continuous sobriety is considered long enough before being suitable to sponsor people or is it when you have completed the steps and have a good understanding of the programme? Iā€™m just curious, thanks. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Once I completed my first run through the steps my sponsor wanted me to start sponsoring others to fulfill my 12th step. I had around 14 months sober when I got my first sponsee. He drank after a few weeks. My second sponsee relapsed almost immediately after leaving rehab. I think my third sponsee is in jail. I have a 100% success rate though, because I stayed sober the whole time.

5 Likes

Hey @anon13078412
Itā€™s not a question of time sober, necessarily, but rather, a matter of working knowledge and the will to see others through the steps. If one has gone through the steps for themselves, and feels that they have achieved success by doing so, they might find themselves naturally trying to help others through the process. AA, as a system of recovery, is an inherently self - perpetuating program. Many sponsors simply find themselves doing it casually and then realize ā€œShit, I should just be a sponsor.ā€ They simply arrive at it.

Others set out to finish their step work in order to become sponsors. They are eager to sponsor another in order to complete their 12th step and finish the boss level of the game.
In my opinion, these tend to be the hard chargers that need to be of service in order to solidify their own sobriety. Nothing wrong with that, but Iā€™ve heard a lot of stories of sponsors kinda being dependant on their sponsees and that can get real unhealthy, real quick.

2 Likes

The 12th step answers this question on its own.
I see what your getting at here @anon13078412.
Bill Wilson was in the hospital detoxing on day 9 when he did his 9th step. Doctor Bob was sponsoring guys immediately. The 3rd alcoholic is an example of how soon after completing the steps sponsorship took place.
Doctor Bob died roughly 14 years after getting sober. Itā€™s estimated he sponsored ( low estimate ) between 5 and 6 thousand people. He was working steps with people almost daily if you do the math. When a person has completed the steps " had a spiritual experience as the result of working the steps" they are ready to sponsor.
A sponsor is just a guide to take someone through the steps. Each person taking the 12 steps will have their own experience with their higher power and the sponsor does not get them clean. God does. Therefore the only requirement is that they have been through the steps. Most people in early AA were sponsoring after a month to two months of sobriety.
Additionally the big book does not say there is a required time.
Additionally I have 145 days sober and I have several sponsees. Iā€™m sure this is ultimately what youā€™re alluding to.

No I wasnā€™t alluding to that at all mate I was just generally curious, Iā€™m in NA so all I know if AA is what Iā€™ve read on here. I read a lot of the old threads from years past and have come across the odd snooty comment regarding sober time and sponsoring so have wondered this for some time now. I would think that someone who knows the programme inside out like yourself would be a great sponsor. I would have just asked you straight out if I was asking in terms of you sponsoring. :+1:
5 to 6000 is a lot of sponsees, those guys have saved a lot of lives, do you think they had any idea just how big the programme would get when they founded it.
@MrCade I sorry if figured that would be the case Iā€™ve just seen the odd snooty comment regarding sponsoring and sober time.
@Englishd thatā€™s a bit gutting, ultimately not everyone is going to be saved I suppose. Are you in contact with Ray outside of the forum I have seen anything of him for quite a while. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I made an assumption based on a comment on a different thread that then disappeared.
That was wrong of me too do. You deserve to be heard for what you say not what I think your alluding to. I make mistakes. Iā€™ll work on that moving forward. Thank you for your response

1 Like

I think I have Rays email in an old thread. Iā€™ll dig it up

1 Like

Itā€™s been about a month since we spoke. Iā€™ll have to send him an email

About sums it up for me. :+1:

The whole thread reminds me of the quote ripped from a former member. ā€œIā€™d rather be sober wondering if Iā€™m an alcoholic than drunk wondering if I can get sober.ā€

Whether or not the word sits right with me, or however unsure I may be where my drinking might have (and may still) lead me, I cannot deny (now) that sober is the easier, more peaceful and less doubt-filled way to live.

7 Likes