Inpatient vs Outpatient treatment

I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on the effectiveness of inpatient treatment transitioning into Intensive Outpatient treatment vs just outpatient rehab.

I can honestly say for myself that me entering residential treatment was god’s hands working. I’ll spare you that back story. But the 37 days i spent in inpatient were truly life changing. Not only did i learn so much about myself, addiction, coping, mental health ive gained an amazing set of friends that i will value for the rest of my life. We saw each other at our worst, we spent 24/7 together, we knew who needed to poop, who couldn’t poop who was PMS. There is no words to explain the intense bond we all share. We were in treatment program from 830am to 930pm with small groups, Women’s only group, holistic group, large group classes as well as individual therapy from 3-5x a week 1 on 2.After completing residential i began intensive out patient the very next day. There are 8 of us that were in residential together and then there about 5 that just came directly to outpatient.

I can honestly say there is no way i could have become what i am today if I didn’t do residential and started with iop. I truly feel like those that do have a very different mentality.

What are everyone else’s thought

7 Likes

I’ve never been in rehab so my opinion might not be what you’re looking for, but I kickstarted my sobriety with a hospital detox and it’s honestly one of the best things I’ve ever done. A week of detox in a safe environment literally saved my life.

Now I’m an outpatient and the week gap between appointments feels agonising.

I wish rehabs didn’t have so much stigma. Support and safety is so important for long-term sobriety.

4 Likes

I have done both inpatient and outpatient and as tough as they were, i really enjoyed the structure of the enviornment and the bonds that were created. They both served a different purpose in my life. Inaptient was needed when i was really at my worst and needed to completely remove myself from my situation. Later down the road, when i had to work, outpatient was useful so that i could still work while also go to treatment. Over the span of 2 decades in active addiction, i have compiled all i learned over various treatment centres and it has helped me (along with this forum), to get me where i am today! Im very grateful :pray:

2 Likes

I couldn’t leave my daughter so inpatient was out of the question. I did go to outpatient detox for a week followed by IOP. I learned a lot at IOP and it gave me the foundation I needed to move onto AA. It’s been 4 years and I’ve built some amazing lifelong friendships with some of the ladies in AA. I honestly think I would have gone back out by now if it weren’t for the meetings and AA.

3 Likes

i absolutely agree with you! it saved my life from the grips of hell but it also taught me and gave me so much
more. has truly changed my life forever!

3 Likes