Inspirational quote of the day

Got this tattooed on me :pray:t2:

1 Like

2 Likes

3 Likes

I’ve always believed that addicts and alcoholics are some of the toughest people around.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Absolutely :dart::100::sunglasses::metal:t2:

In this moment, regardless of what happened before or what may happen tomorrow, what is the very best thing I can possibly do, right now?
Grapevine Magazine, May 2007, “A Life Without Problems”

2 Likes

Seen at the SA retreat I was at this weekend:

5 Likes

Ray says this!!! It’s a good one!!

1 Like

Although I’m not a new member, it’s great to find “stuff” like this that I forgot to save or bookmark.
Thank you and have a great evening (or day :-))

4 Likes

24 hours a day, June 21

Thought for the Day
Intelligent faith in that Power greater than ourselves can be counted on to stabilize our emotions. It has an incomparable capacity to help us look at life in balanced perspective. We look up, around, and away from ourselves, and we see that nine out of ten things that at the moment upset us will shortly disappear. Problems solve themselves; criticism and unkindness vanish as though they had never been. Have I got the proper perspective toward life?
Meditation for the Day
A truly spiritual man or woman would like to have a serene mind. The only way to keep calm in this troubled world is to have a serene mind. The calm and sane mind sees spiritual things as the true realities and material things as only temporary and fleeting. That sort of mind you can never obtain by reasoning, because your reasoning powers are limited by space and time. That kind of a mind you can never obtain by reading, because other minds are also limited in the same way. You can only have that mind by an act of faith, by making the venture of belief.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may have a calm and sane mind. I pray that I may look up, around, and away from myself.

1 Like

Many people perceive AA as a “religious” program because of the language used in the literature to describe spirituality. I appreciate how this passage describes spiritual living as an emotional state, and the complicated relationship between intellect, emotion and the action of belief. There is no religion here. There is only connection to that thing beyond our ability to perceive it directly.

The book 24 Hours a Day is what I call “AA adjacent”. It draws some source material from the AA Big Book, it was written by an AA member as a supplemental piece for other AA members, and it was offered to AA but turned down because they didn’t have the resources at the time to edit, publish and distribute it. This book is an absolute cornerstone of my sobriety. I read and study it daily, first thing in the morning. That helps to properly focus and slow my mind so I can have a calm and sober day, most days.

1 Like

24 Hours a Day, meditation and prayer, July 13.

1 Like

24 Hours a Day, thought for July 16. Editorial license has been exercised.

Thought for the Day
We can believe that (there is) a purpose for our lives, which will eventually work out as long as we try to live the way we believe (The Divine) wants us to live. It has been said that we should “wear the world like a loose garment.” That means that nothing should seriously upset us because we have a deep, abiding faith that (The Universe) will always take care of us. To us that means not to be too upset by the surface wrongness of things, but to feel deeply secure in the fundamental goodness and purpose in the universe.
Do I feel deeply secure?

Or as Bob Marley put it: Every little thing is gonna be alright.

3 Likes

4 Likes

24 Hours a Day, July 19.

Meditation for the Day
To God, a miracle of change in a person’s life is only a natural happening. But it is a natural happening operated by spiritual forces. There is no miracle in personalities too marvelous to be an everyday happening. But miracles happen only to those who are fully guided and strengthened by God. Marvelous changes in people’s natures happen so simply, and yet they are free from all other agencies than the grace of God. But these miracles have been prepared for by days and months of longing for something better. They are always accompanied by a real desire to conquer self and to surrender one’s life to God.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may expect miracles in the lives of people. I pray that I may be used to help people change.

Put aside any difficulty you have with the word or concept “God”. I find this description of how surrender is accompanied by grace to effect the naturally occurring ‘miracles’ of change to come close to helping me explain myself. I have seen it happen in myself and in others, and I’ve struggled to verbalize this phenomenon.

The miracle sometimes happens all at once, at the very beginning of sobriety, and sometimes it operates more subtly, when a person simply puts into practice the discipline necessary to stay dry, sober and content.

Phrasing it as a natural occurrence that is manifested with the help of that strange energy “grace” gives me hope that it can happen for anyone. And it does happen every day, to many different addicts. We are blessed :pray:.

4 Likes

“There is no you or me or them. Everything is connected and the salvation of each of us is linked to the salvation of all of us.”

“The Steps Are the Program,” Riverside, Illinois, July 1975, AA Grapevine

3 Likes

24 Hours a Day meditation for July 23.

Meditation for the Day
The inward peace that comes from trust in (the Good) truly passes all understanding. That peace no one can take from you. No person has the power to disturb that inner peace. But you must be careful not to let in the world’s worries and distractions. You must try not to give entrance to fears and despondency. You must refuse to open the door to distractions that disturb your inward peace. Make it a point to allow nothing today to disturb your inner peace, your heart-calm.

The aspiration to inner peace can be achieved. I have purposely removed myself from drama and negativity. In early sobriety, I stopped reading the newspaper for three years. Today I will delete my Instagram account. When I slip in my attitude or my focus, I can return to trusting the Good by admitting my slip to another alcoholic and then laying aside my anxiousness and refocusing my thoughts.

“All is well and all shall be well.”

2 Likes

I love this! I have these amazing cards that a friend gave me and I try to pull a card everyday to set the tone if my day. Here is today’s card.

From 24 hours a day, entry for July 30, by Richmond Walker. Editorial license by yours truly.

Meditation for the Day
“Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Faith is not seeing, but believing. Down through the ages, there have always been those who obeyed the heavenly vision, not seeing but believing in (the Divine). And their faith was rewarded. So shall it be to you. Good things will happen to you. You cannot see (Divinity), but you can see the results of faith in human lives, changing them from defeat to victory. (Divine) grace is available to all who have faith - not seeing, but believing. With faith, life can be victorious and happy.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may have faith enough to believe without seeing. I pray that I may be content with the results of my faith.

Now re-read that last sentence carefully! Faith is believing without seeing, it is receiving grace. And it is letting go of results. I can believe and pray and expect grace, I can plan and take action. The test of true faith is to do these things and have no emotional investment in the outcome.

Faith, as the basis of my life, it’s believing and acting as if “Every little thing is gonna be alright.”

1 Like