Inspirational quote of the day

24 Hours A Day, Richmond Walker

June 1
Meditation for the Day

You were born with a spark of the Divine within you. It had been all but smothered by the life you were living. That celestial fire has to be tended and fed so that it will grow eventually into a real desire to live the right way. By trying to do the will of (the divine), you grow more and more in the new way of life. By thinking of (the divine), praying to (the divine), and having communion with (the divine), you gradually grow more like (the divine). The way of your transformation from the material to the spiritual is the way of Divine Companionship.

Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may tend the spark of the Divine within me so that it will grow. I pray that I may be gradually transformed from the old life to the new life.

2 Likes

24 Hours A Day , Richmond Walker

June 8
Meditation for the Day

Your life has been given to you mainly for the purpose of training your soul. This life we live is not so much for the body as for the soul. We often choose the way of life that best suits the body, not the way that best suits the soul. God wants you to choose what suits the soul as well as the body. Accept this belief and a wonderful molding of character is the result. Reject it and God’s purpose for your life is frustrated, and your spiritual progress is delayed. Your soul is being trained by the good you choose. Thus the purpose of your life is being accomplished.

2 Likes

Maybe too dark. Sometimes blunt is good.

5 Likes

24 hours a day, September 16, meditation

We seem to live not only in time but also in eternity. …our lives can flow as some calm river through the dry land of earth. It can cause the trees and flowers of the spiritual life - love and service - to spring forth and yield abundantly. Spiritual work may be done for eternity, not just for now. Even here on earth we can live as though our real lives were eternal.

2 Likes

This meditation and prayer from “24 Hours a Day” by Richmond Walker, apart from the use of “God” to describe it, is the cornerstone of my understanding of spirituality today, and since I got sober. My emphasis added.

Meditation for the Day
In improving our personal lives, we have Unseen help. We were not made so that we could see (the Help). That would be too easy for us and there would be no merit in obeying (the Help). It takes an act of faith, a venture of belief, to realize the Unseen Power. Yet we have much evidence of Its existence in the strength that many people have received from the act of faith, the venture of belief. We are in a box of space and time and we can see neither our souls nor It. (The Unseen Power) and the human spirit are both outside the limitations of space and time. Yet our Unseen help is effective here and now. That has been proved in thousands of changed lives.

Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may make the great venture of belief. I pray that my vision may not be blocked by intellectual pride.

3 Likes

How does one live a spiritual life? This mediation for today from “24 hours a day” explains it somewhat.

Meditation for the Day

How do I get strength to be effective and to accept responsibility? By asking the Higher Power for the strength I need each day. It has been proved in countless lives that for every day I live, the necessary power shall be given me. I must face each challenge that comes to me during the day, sure that (higher power) will give me the strength to face it. For every task that is given me, there is also given me all the power necessary for the performance of that task. I do not need to hold back.

2 Likes

Another manifestation of the truth “I see what I look at”.

24 hours a day, Richmond Walker, entry for October 17

Meditation for the Day

Today look upward toward Divinity, not downward toward yourself. Look away from unpleasant surroundings, from lack of beauty, from the imperfections in yourself and those around you. In your unrest, behold divine calmness: in your impatience, eternal patience; in your limitations, ultimate perfection. Looking upward toward the Divine, your spirit will begin to grow. Then others will see something in you that they also want. As you grow in the spiritual life, you will be enabled to do many things that seemed too hard for you before.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may keep my eyes trained above the horizon of myself; I pray that I may see infinite possibilities for spiritual growth.

2 Likes