Interesting or quirky expressions

Now, this won’t make sense unless you know the guy (who is Finnish): The drinking stops here, said Jamppa Tuominen.

Here’s another that also rhymes in Finnish:
Open the door, it’s Bon Jovi.

1 Like

Nope, never heard. But very fitting indeed…

Knee-high to a grasshopper (means a small child)
Couldn’t fight their way out of a wet paper poke [bag] (means they’re stupid)
Month of Sunday’s (means a long time)

1 Like

“Not my circus, not my monkies.” Means it’s not my job to care about whatever specific thing is being discussed.

“Happy wife, happy life.” Guessing that one is a universal truth :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

This makes me laugh heartedly! I am totally stealing this!

2 Likes

This reminds me of a joke,

As useless as tits on a nun
Or
As useless as balls on a priest

As useless as a condom at a cristening

And my stepdad would say

It’s persisting it down (instead of pissing it down)

I use to play this really old lady from down south in dominoes at the nursing home I volunteered at. And when I was winning she’d say.

“You beating me like a step child :scream:

Nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

2 Likes

As they say here in Seattle: April showers brings May showers.

The most Vermont specific expression I’ve heard here and nowhere else is “Jeezum Crow”, an exclamation used to substitute for Jesus Christ.

1 Like

Well he ain’t the sharpest tool in the shed

If women don’t find you handsome at least they’ll find ya handy

Keep your stick on the ice (don’t give up)

1 Like

“Ever hear the story of the 3 eggs?” “Too bad!”
Whenever I wanted something and I was not going to get it my grandmother would say this to me. Now i say it to my kids. I don’t have to say the too bad part. They get the gist

I’m saying “It was Glorious!” or “Glorious!” a lot as of late. I can’t figure out why but I just find it so catchy. I believe I got that from one of Will Ferrell’s character’s (I can’t think of the movie but it was definitely him).

Edit: Found the movie! It was Old School :joy:

Als de mussen dood van het dak vallen / When the sparrows fall down dead from the roof (It’s really hot out there)
Iemand blij maken met een dooie mus / Making somebody happy with a dead sparrow (giving away something with absolutely no worth)

3 Likes

“Poronkusema”, reindeer’s pissery, is an old Lappish unit of distance that a reindeer can travel before needing to stop to urinate. Defined aprox. to 7,5km/4,7mi. Fun fact: reindeers can’t walk and pee at the same time.
Today it is used to describe something that is at a very obscure distance away.

4 Likes

3 Likes
  1. Pipe stems (Dutch)
  2. Old hags (also Dutch)
1 Like

When I moved to East Sussex (from a neighbouring county a few mile away) I learned some words which described the landscape and wildlife which I hadn’t come across. For example, a word everyone uses to describe an alleyway with hedges on each side is called a twittern (twitting nearer Brighton), less local is a river with two steep banks = a ghyll, one bank = a shaw. There are birds that people used to eat in Sussex called wheatears. They have a distinctive white rump and the name derives from the Sussex rural accent (“white arse”).

1 Like
  1. Datsun cogs (Japan)
2 Likes