Irish family, born an alcoholic

My heart feels so full hearing you are inspired by me sharing my vulnerabilities! God knows it’s not easy, so this is probably the best possible reaction I could have gotten. Thank you for your kind words and support, please feel the same support from me to you if you ever need a helping hand!

Hi Cait. I here ya. I thought the trick was to attend AA 7 days a week. New friends have helped but the bottom line is lonliness for me. At AA it seems that this is the major problem. Everyone is alone when they fall off the wagon. Im going to try to fill up my days so much that I cant even get laundry done or housecleaning. I hate coming home to an empty house. I need to be busy. I hope this helps girl. I understand.

1 Like

Hang in there young lady. It takes time, the promises do come true. God bless

1 Like

I appreciate your insight, and I am 100% in agreeance. I’m on day 7 and the hardest part so far has been not having sober people to hang with who don’t immediately suggest grabbing drinks. Or having a great day of hiking and biking to avoid bars, but then as soon as you’re done, it’s “lets go to happy hour, we deserve it”. It’s so awkward to say no, but it’s getting easier. I just don’t say anything about not drinking and just order water or tea once we get there. No one seems to have noticed yet :wink:

1 Like

Thank you!!

Welcome to an easier softer way of living. The person I was compared to the person I am today with nearly 6 months of soberity is an incredible difference. Regert is a word no longer in my vocabulary. Nor will it be in yours. Alcohol for us is a posion. A posion that turns us into the very thing we never saw for ourselves. A person whom can’t look oneself in the eyes in the mirror and when we do we see nothing but dissipointmemt, pain and suffering. It’s a way no one should live and we don’t have to for there is a chocie that all of us share in the chocie not to drink today. Today is all we have and all that matters not yesterday not tommorow just today. We take our fight head on one moment at a time and we are in a fight for our very lives. For me I only new death when I drank I only saw my impending doom at the bottom of every bottle I finished. Now I know life what it truly means to be a live and have freedom to choose what I do with my life free from the bondage that was alcohol and drugs. The prison I lived in was within my own mind and the key laid just outside arm’s length away. Your story has reminded me that I don’t have to live that way that I can unlock the cage and walk out any time I choose. And today I choose to be free just as you have just as all of us have. We find strength and hope theough sharing our experiences and we are the lucky few who have found a happier, healthier and better way of living. One day at a time our freedom is had. We stay sober.

1 Like

Thats inspring. The way you confront with your addiction, give me strenght in my fight. I also has a family, full of heavy drinkers. And most of them is dead. Some from diseases causing by alcohol, some from naturel causes. But now i’m the only people in my family who got alcohol problem and i want to stop drinking before i’m dead in early ages too. Today i go to a psychiatrist to stop my addiction and started my fight. I hope we can win our fights and get our life back. (Sorry for my poor English, it’s not my native language.)

1 Like