Is 6 days sober too early to attend a lodge meeting?

Being able open up and be apart of this online community has helped me reevaluated my approach to sobriety. It seems like, one has to restart with a blank sheet before going to make amends to those I’ve wronged.

With that said, I’ve just come off a 2 month bridge and 5 months sober before that. I’m involved with a professional nonprofit organization that meets once a month to build professional relationships and make friends with like minded people. I have been apart of this group for nearly 7 years. I’ve been asked to attend after almost five days of sobity, I am not sure if it’s the right time. There is no alcohol at the meeting nor on the drive, but I don’t get home until able 11:30pm( and I’m the driver. I dont want to be tempted and loose the last 5 days. I feel high stress just thinking about the meeting, knowing I’ve made an ass of myself and done some relationship damage with other members from saying dumb shit when I was drunk online with access to a phone or a computer. When is the right time to face the music and when should I draw the line? Thank you for any advice you all may have.

1 Like

In my first week I kept things pretty chill. That included briefly popping in to one invite and declining a couple of others. I hadn’t been sober in a while and like you just wanted to keep my head on straight.

I’m sure I wanted to be there if only to try being present and positive when I knew I hadn’t in the past.

So… I don’t know about the questions. Maybe one of the old timers has some sage advice. But for me it’s a week or two since all that (19 days in), I’m still sober, and I had a very nice night out with friends tonight.

If you feel like it’s a stressful situation that you want to avoid, and doing so won’t be a big deal, why not just take a raincheck on this one? If you have some music to face then would reaching out to individuals on your own terms (phone, email, face to face as appropriate) be a better way of doing it? Might be more meaningful that way as well as less stressful!