Is anybody else married to their biggest enabler?

I’d say go to as many meetings as you can. You need support from people who are like you in your local area. I can say this confidently that you are not alone. For me it’s a “whatever it takes” mentality. Stay strong, very bright days are ahead. Find a meeting!

I had to ‘let go’ of my partner as he was my enabler, he didnt drink with me but i could manipulate him for anything i wanted, drink an coke, hardest thing for me to do but once i was sober i realised he was part of my addiction, im now 5 months clean an feel free, dont go getting divorced though haha x

I’m in the same boat. I just posted about it under Spouse who drinks. Welcome, btw.

Mine doesn’t either. He says I don’t have a problem…from the man who drinks every day until he passes out. He doesn’t believe me when I tell him I’m going to meetings, it’s a downward spiral for us and I don’t think it is going to end well.

Unintententionally my wife is also my biggest enabler. She knows I don’t have an off switch and hates to see me drink. The sound of a beer can cracking open triggers her anxiety as she has seen me time and time again make an ass out of myself due to drinking. Yet, after a few weeks of “being good” after any kind of incident, I find her grabbing a new craft beer for me. She knows I love craft beer and it makes her feel good to surprise me with it here and there. It’s so tough because we love to try new breweries together and have a drink with dinner or friends. She can stop at a drink or two though and I really struggle with it.

I love craft beer as well. How is everything going? I am one year so Eric as of September 16th.