Is Clonopin worth it?

Ive been taking Clonopin for about a week now and I think it really helps with my alcoholism. Has anyone else taken this before?

2 Likes

It’s a benzo, be careful, though depending on how bad your alcohol use was it could help you not have a seizure, was it prescribed from a doc? I wouldn’t stay on it for too long

2 Likes

Yes it was prescribed

1 Like

I would just follow the doctor’s instructions, if you trust that they have your best interests in mind, you will be fine

1 Like

Of course it helps, it’s a benzodiazepine and it works on the same exact receptors in your brain as alcohol does. Benzos are what a doctor will prescribe you to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms of alcohol. Take it from someone who replaced alcohol with a benzodiazepine about 4 years ago- Don’t take this drug for longer than a few days. My doctor had the best of intentions for me and prescribed for me for a year, and it took me the following year, an ENTIRE YEAR to taper off and I still had withdrawals from it for weeks afterward. Use it as a tool for getting past the rough part of the booze, then stop, please! It was a nightmare. Just google benzo withdrawal or klonopin withdrawal and you’ll see.

2 Likes

Like the other Jedi Masters said, do some research for yourself and talk with your doctor. Benzos were my prime addiction, Xanax and klonopin. Alcohol was my other addiction. I was prescribed for around ten years and it was a nightmare to get off. They are very helpful in the correct circumstances but it seems a lot of doctors are not careful about how they prescribed them. If you have any other questions feel free to message me.

IMO Klonopin has helped me tremendously; however, it’s a neurodegenerative drug. It might play a role in possible early onset dementia. My shrink wants me to switch to Neurontin to treat anxiety, since it’s not neurodegenerative. I get the lecture about klonopin’s negative effects each visit.

Gabapetin is another anti seziure drug thats not a benzo i believe…

Oh man – I can imagine the risks. I know nothing about it, but I can imagine it’s a help sometimes. I also know that I was a stone’s throw away from developing new addictions whenever new drugs came my way (I had severe back problems for a while).

Ya that’s a definite issue subbing one drug for another.

1 Like

Yas, Low.
10 characters

1 Like