Is DMT a drug? TW psychedelics

A friend of mine is wanting me to do this spiritual journey stuff to help me with my addiction of 30 years and my grief. With my wife dying from an overdose and me quitting everything a few days later. I’ve been sober since and that’s 6 months. She wants me to take DMT to help me. Is this going to be considered a relapse type thing if I were to do this? Really wanting to. I’ve been searching and trying anything to help me. Really hoping this does or would.

1 Like

DMT is a drug, but in my opinion it’s not something you’re likely to go about abusing. If you decide to try it, make sure you’re actually ready for what you might encounter.

It does produce an altered state, and you might be able to play with it a time or two, but it will eventually bite you in the butt if you do that.

It’s a tool. A sacrament.

Since this isn’t really the right place to go into those types of conversations, i’ll leave that there. With you having addiction issues in the past, this may not be the best course of action for you, especially since it hasn’t been that long.

The altered state in itself could possibly be a negative in that area. I would think very long and hard on this. Just because it is right for one person’s spiritual journey doesn’t mean it is for everyone’s.

Has your friend been trained, like those who work with MAPS have been who work with people usint MDMA? What’s her experience working with others in this?

Im not asking because I want the answers, but for you to think about. It’s not something to be taken lightly. I don’t know the fullness of your situation, but I do worry it might trigger a relapse.
I wish you well in whatever you do.

11 Likes

Dmt is a drug if you take it be prepared to
Start your counter again at day 1 good luck in your journey

1 Like

Dmt is definitely a drug.

A friend of mine tried to skip working recovery by doing a “journey” like this and he’s now stuck in another country and relapsed.

I have been in active addiction for 33 years, I have had my share of traumas I have 688 days substance free today.

We can recover, we need to be willing to go through the pain and put in the work.

Good luck
:orange_heart::seedling:

16 Likes

I know that for me, I use psychedelics occasionally, they have helped with my ptsd and substance issues. I went cold turkey on alcohol and never looked back after a powerful series of psychedelic journeys

DMT isn’t really a drug in the sense of hard drugs. It was one that I personally tried, and having extracted it a certain way, I had wonderful five to ten minute experiences that made my soul feel like it was resonating with a higher power very strongly during those experiences.

I have also used psychedelics to manage my mental state, as I have a lot of issues. I occasionally microdose and this helps with my depression, anxiety, trauma, etc., and I am not bothered by these things for a great while after dosing has ceased.

I’ll just say this–I did a psychedelic around four years ago. Only recently, I was taking microdoses of a psychedelic and I never felt inclined to take more and feel even weirder. I know I am doing a little bit of brain repair without psychoactive effects. Psychedelics can induce neurogenesis but I am unsure if DMT does this. DMT is great if you can externalize your issues and project them into the hallucinations you see, or if the hallucinations teach you something. Usually, DMT is a pleasant experience. I would strongly avoid 5-MeO-DMT. The purpose of doing DMT is to feel a connection to the divine, and that can calm most souls. It’s worth a try. If you don’t like it, it was only for five minutes.

I would consider getting in contact with MAPS (multidisciplinary association for psychedelic studies) and look into their mdma therapy sessions. They’re getting close to approving it. You might qualify for one of their clinical trials.

For someone who has undergone a lot of trauma, a quick acting psychedelic isn’t going to really do much. However, if you’re new to psychedelics, it will seem like it lasts a longer time. Ayahuasca would probably help more, or perhaps magic mushrooms. DMT itself can lift your mood days, weeks, maybe months after an experience. However, the possibility of having a bad trip is always there, so whenever I have to undergo a psychedelic experience, I plan it out for a long time to minimize this.

If you have never experienced a psychedelic before, just know that DMT is perhaps the most potent, but also the most friendly if done in a relaxing setting, and the shortest acting…so it could be something to try. I’m not recommending anything, but if they think it might help, you could try.

DMT does belong to a class of drugs known (already mentioned) as psychedelics, and they have a virtually non existent addiction profile. Still, I would use caution. If you’re going to do that, make sure you have an experienced sitter with you that can facilitate a relaxing environment.

4 Likes

Here is an old thread about mushrooms but the context/ theme is similar. I found it helpful at the time so sharing in case you do too!

It is something I have reflected more on since. I know a couple of people who have done the Ayahuasca thing. One was on medication at the time (which you’re not supposed to do) and didn’t get anything from it. The set up of it all coupled with the emotional vulnerability and desperation of the people there to find ‘an answer’ seemed to be at least driving factor for any efficacy. And of course there were people who followed the guy that led the ceremony all over the world, so any transformational effects seemed to require regular topping up for them. It also sounded like there is some significant potential for exploitation of vulnerabilities there - not exclusive to this type of thing of course, but still something I thought about. The other person goes to Brazil regularly and she feels like it helps her but it does need regular topping up and it has noticeably affected her mannerisms etc. To me it seems that the amount of time and energy people invest in chasing chemical solutions to find spiritual progress is similar to that of doing it in a non-chemical way.

After a couple of years of depression, lots of spiritual searching, meditation, some therapy etc, the thing that helped me best was finding the right medication. I now find it quite hard to connect with some of the spiritual thinking that felt so important at the time. Maybe that is just the nature of change or maybe I was more easily able to access some deep stuff while my emotions were so strong. I don’t know what my path forward will be, whether I want to reduce the medication or what will happen if I choose to. I’m not sure if I have just ducked out of what I think could (or maybe even should) have been a longer and possibly harder but ultimately more beneficial process. When I am feeling unsure, I try not to make decisions but wait to see if things will become clearer with time.

It sounds like you have been through so much and I can only imagine how appealing the idea of some immediate relief and healing sounds. Of course we all have our own journeys to take and decisions to make. I don’t think there really is a right or a wrong way, just the path we choose.

I hope you find a way forward that works for you :pray: :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

This part makes me sad.

I’m sorry for your loss.

Glad to have you among us. Welcome

7 Likes

DMT is a drug but I wouldn’t count it as a relapse as I never had a problem with it, having said that I rarely do it, maybe every couple of years. I 100% would not do it unless I was in a happy place tho, you could end up having a very scary trip otherwise. IMHO the only time when this may be ok to use whilst suffering from grief is if you were to do it with a bonified shamen, under correct instruction/supervision. Sorry for your loss

3 Likes

If it’s a mind altering substance, I’d be careful with it. I’m not one bit educated on the matter though. But it does feel very risky to me

3 Likes

It is a drug. I know people who are in recovery from it as well. Why not try to get close to the Divine by doing the work sober and building a relationship with a Higher Power in a way that works for you without the use of substances? Just a thought

4 Likes

Why don’t you consult a trained health care professional / addiction counsellor? “Spiritual journey stuff” sounds super sus, IMO.

4 Likes

DMT is not my drug of choice but it is mind altering and because I am a recovering addict, there’s a very high chance I could potentially get addicted to the effect. Not only that, but it would trigger my addictive thinking all over again. The farther I stay away from anything mind altering, the better. So in my opinion, this wouldn’t be a good idea for me. Like Ive never ever had an issue with alcohol but if I was to drink, guarenteed I would end up using my DOC at some point. So why risk it?
Years ago I was in recovery and someone invited to a peyote ceremony. I declined for this reason. Even thought the intention is for I guess a higher state of consciousness, I just didn’t want to risk my sobriety.
Plus I actually find connecting with my Higher Power in sober ways to be much more fulfilling and genuine imo

3 Likes

I never did DMT. I have used LSD though, as well as other psychedelics. LSD has probably given me the best experiences of any drug I ever used. It is also said that the more you use LSD and the shorter the intervals, the less effect it has untill pretty soon there is no effect at all. So in that respect it isn’t addictive either, although I’m not sure about the psychological effect it can have.
Anyway, when I became clean and sober close to 2.5 years ago, I kept it in the back of my mind that if there was one drug I’d like to try again it was LSD. Just a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine who knew of this wish offered me some. I though about it. I declined. I’m clean and sober. I work my shit. I don’t need or want mind altering stuff. I’ve been on antidepressants but I’m very glad to be rid of those too.
For me the biggest trip, by far, is facing my life with my mind and eyes open, clearminded, thinking and living and feeling with all my senses, not under the influence of anything or anybody. It takes lots of time to get anywhere like this yes. But i’m on my own journey. Sober and clean. There is no magic cure. Success friend.

9 Likes

This is really an awesome sentiment, Menno. :heartbeat:

3 Likes

Psychedelics can help with grief.

1 Like

I do understand this point of view, and I’m certainly not advocating for drugs to be part of anyone’s spiritual journey, but I do sometimes feel a bit conflicted about the medicalisation of grief, sadness, emotional regulation. It is the reason I find it hard to reconcile my use of antidepressants - they make me a lot easier to live with, ha, but I do feel like something is missing and I haven’t really gotten to the root of things. I am sure some therapy is absolutely wonderful but spiritual journey stuff can be too (I’m thinking about religion, support groups, dance, meditation, yoga, connecting with nature etc depending what people are open to). And getting the right therapy that really allows us to delve into the nature of our problems and find genuine healing can be quite hard to access.

Maybe this is a bit off topic, if so apologies @Hobbsdragon1975 I can move my musings elsewhere!

3 Likes

Good point Siand. I don’t oppose spiritual journeys, nor do I oppose anti-depressants / and the like. However, I do find that this type of medication should be prescribed and monitored by a health care professionals.

Drugs/drug-like substances administered by friends in order to do a spiritual trip sounds sus, IMO. For that reason, I’d suggest that OP and anyone contemplating such, to consult someone with training, rather than a internet forum :blush:

4 Likes

8 Likes