Shrooms in recovery? Possible trigger

Hello all,

I want to start by saying that I am so happy that I found this site. Everyone have been exceptionally helpful and supportive to all their fellow members. It is so inspiring!

So let me begin.

My boyfriend, whom I have been with for six months now, is a big advocate for psilocybin and its medicinal effects to the mind. Now my DOC is alcohol and cocaine. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve done shrooms.

Today Mark’s 47 days sober (silent happy dance), other than a few adverse effects I feel fantastic!

My boyfriend advocates so much for the magical powers of magic mushrooms that he is encouraging me to try them again claiming that they help cure addiction to other drugs, aid in coping mechanisms with trauma etc. However, I’ve explained to him why I’m NOT ok with doing them in recovery for many reasons one of which being a trigger to my DOC. He claims that they don’t have addictive properties but I still can’t shake the feeling that they aren’t helpful.

I’ve been doing some research on psilocybin and its effects but I can’t find a justifiable reason to get into them.

I am only here to hear what you all think. No, I don’t plan to do them and I am not advocating for the use of them.

Is he a physician or psychiatrist?

4 Likes

No, just an advocate.

Psilocybin is being a used more and more in the medical field to treat things like ptsd, in no way would I attempt to use them as a recovery aid.
Now don’t take this the wrong way but I’m hoping that your boyfriend can accept your point of view and advocate for your recovery as much if not more than he does for mushrooms :slight_smile:

1 Like

He has been very supportive in my progress and my recovery and he’d never pressure me into anything I wasn’t comfortable with. And I know if I sat him down and explained the importance of my sobriety and triggers he would be most respectful in never giving me anything even if I asked (not that I would).

2 Likes

Then take it for what it’s worth. Last thing an addict needs is some “broscience” to justify abusing another substance.

I am now a non-drinker. I was once in voluntary bondage to alcohol. I am free.

The last time I smoked weed or did any kind of drug, Ronald Reagan was still in his first term. If they legalized weed tomorrow, where I live, I still wouldn’t touch it. I know I’d like it too much. It would just be a chain of a different forging, but a chain nonetheless.

I no longer run from life’s problems. I confront them…and then I crush them.

5 Likes

Congratulations on your journey, keep it up!

In response to your experience, it sounds as though shrooms helped you realize that you were an addict and then they helped you kick your habits. I think since I’ve already realized my addiction and kicked the habit without shrooms then they serve no purpose for me now.

2 Likes

Yeah I wouldnt do them now. My life is good. If its not broken, dont fix it. Who knows what kind of life altering epiphany you could have?

1 Like

Unless prescribed by a doctor I plan to stay away from ANYTHING that is mind altering. Heck, I’m even trying to get off caffeine (though I’m failing quite miserably at it!!)

3 Likes

Talking Sober Rules and Guidelines

Please note guideline 5:
“Rather than posting about using, try to keep your focus on how you want to stop using. This is a sobriety focused site - promoting moderation can negatively impact members’ sobriety.”

3 Likes

As someone who has done more than my fair share of hallucinogens I can safely say that all that “I found God while tripping” thinking was non-sense. In tightly controlled medical settings there may be some therapeutic value but the jury is still out as long term studies haven’t really been completed. What I do know is this “spiritual enlightenment” that shroom advocates (not actually a thing, he’s just some dude who likes to trip) claim, is baloney. When I thought I was talking to God, I was actually just screaming a tree with no pants on. Same goes for DMT, LSD, research chemicals and the like. I’m glad the OP has the sense to realize that it’s a poor idea and should not be entertained. Lord knows in early recovery I probably would have fallen for that trap.

Also, if you’ve ever had a bad trip then you can probably understand my distaste for these types of drugs.

4 Likes

Why were you pantless?

1 Like

Because mushrooms

5 Likes

Oh yeah. Gotcha

2 Likes

I’ve done shrooms back in the day. You could pick them near where I lived in the season

I don’t think Shrooms could’ve aided in my sobriety

I could’ve easily drunk if under the influence or fight a dragon with a sword (a stick from the garden) - any mind altering substance poses as a risk in my opinion and don’t think you’d be classed as “clean and sober” if you take mushrooms :mushroom: (it’s a class A drug for a reason)

When I was on them once lay on the school field everyone on the field turning into a marching brass band of spiders :spider: weird tings bruvva

This is some truth…and a scary visual.

1 Like

That’s why I never did LSD- having a bad trip scared the life out of me

1 Like

It should. Completely anecdotal, but I knew a guy in college who took waaaay to much and never really came back to reality. He ended up committing suicide.

1 Like

I used mushrooms when I was in my teens but they never had the crazy weird-you-out kind of trip on me. I’d see faces in wood-knots and I got paranoid but there was nothing enlightening or hugely hallucinogenic. MDMA on the other hand, when I took too much of that, I would trip balls I.e. hallucinating and slipping in and out of coherence. I remember being in a cab after taking too much and the driver kept saying “Mate what are you talking about?” And I had immediately forgotten. Isnt this the effect that shrooms is meant to have?

That won’t have been high Milligram MDMA. It’ll have been cut with BZP / PCP or some other cheap mind altering shit

I used to have a Marquis tester and test before I took it as had so many bad experiences with it cut with adulterants