Is it only me who felt strange on the AA meeting

Hi all,
Before few weeks I went to AA meeting for the first time and it was day #15 without alcohol. So i went and when they start it was Ok but when the meeting finished I felt very strange. The people were very friendly but someting in me felt that I am not at the right place. And now I’m wondering is it only me who felt this feeling like that my place is not there.

After this meeting I decided that I will return there only when I am on the edge to drink again.

2 Likes

No you are not alone ,ive went to many aa meetings, but i dont find what i hear others talk about the friendship, support etc it did help me though, but i find it difficult sharing, i find on here has worked better for me ,reading books listening to podcasts and zoom meetings coming here daily to read journal,i still go on occasion, im just doing what works for me and this place has helped me alot

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing :blush:

Was it personalities, age group, format or shares you found strange? The answer doesn’t really matter. Try other meetings. I was so scared my first few meetings, I didn’t know what to think but I kept going back and now they’re my second family. I personally don’t like mixed meetings. I feel much more comfortable in ladies only. The vibe is different and the shares are more relatable.

3 Likes

First time meetings it will be strange early days try a different one see how you feel as for your edge to drink again you will attend a meeting hopefully there will be one on that day ? keep us posted on your recovery wish you well.

1 Like

You’re not alone my friend! I went to 4 AA meetings in early sobriety and I felt the same way, so I personally stopped going as I was going for a girlfriend. But the people who had decades of sobriety stood out to me in a big way and I knew if I was ever on the brink of drinking I needed to go back because I wanted what they had.

After I hit my 2 year sober mark when I realized I was still my own biggest problem (I was the only common denominator), I hit a point of desperation and I prayed for whoever was out there listening to show me the way. The next morning, I was guided without a shadow of doubt back to AA.

I went back with a whole different mindset and it really helped me to change my entire life. I didn’t have the willingness to fully go with the program before but after I did, it really changed everything for me. Now if I miss meetings and stop working my recovery program, I can tell a huge difference in myself so I keep going and keep working on myself and my recovery the best way I can, and AA helps to keep me living in the solutions and on the beam.

Glad you are here!

4 Likes

Thanks for your response :slight_smile: I didnt want to drink on that day, I went because I’ve been told that AA will help me with the recovery. Now Im on my 31 day and of course I had days on which I wanted to drink little bit of whiskey but then instead of pouring alcohol I was preparing tea.

1 Like

Thanks for your response :blush:. I will search also for ladies meetings.
Thanks again :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this :blush::blush:

I felt similar and then attended for over a year or more because it was the only in person meetings in my area. I continued to feel this way the entire time, so I eventually branched out, taking what worked for me from the 12 step program and incorporating it into what I found next. Which for me, was Smart Recovery. But there are many other treatments out there that can and do work.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for sharing :blush:

1 Like