Is moderate drinking possible again?

Yes there’s a lot of pressure out there. Hang with us Kevin. In time you might need to find a new social circle, if all your current one does is drink together. I was ‘op café’ today for the 3rd time this year I think, where I used to go 3 times a week. Same scene, same scenery, it holds no attraction to me no more. Guys getting drunk together. Once you break the habit it doesn’t look so great, or like fun, or enjoying life. A bit sad actually.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure that if I’m limit myself to a 750 ml of scotch every night and no more than a gram of heroin a day I could probably moderate my drinking and drugging.

11 Likes

This is so relatable. I had the same experience where my friends and workmates would pressure me to drink and not take my claims of sobriety seriously. What I found was that the longer I didnt drink, the more accepting and used to the fact the people around me became. What also helped was being brutally honest with people when they would joke or make fun of me trying to quit. I would say things like “if I have 1 I will end up having 25”. Another thing that I have used as an ultimate out, is that I’ve had some sort of health scare and if I drink I could risk having a serous medical event. I know it’s a lie, but sometimes I need an easy escape so people will leave me alone.

3 Likes

Isn’t that the truth? I am happy to play it over and over in my head, and nope! not ever! have I had “just one” never ever. And I’m happy to know I’m in good company.

3 Likes

Good on you! I hope I can maintain the same level of self control :blush:

2 Likes

I do not believe moderation is possible. You can still do things you love though. You just need to learn or relearn to do them without booze. It IS possible!! I wish you luck on your journey. Hobbies were a big help on my road to recovery.

4 Likes

This is the reason I keep relapsing. I convince myself that I can drink in moderation but then it turns into months of heavy drinking. Personally, I don’t think moderation is an option. It’s too much of a slippery slope.

6 Likes

Never! I’ve tried this, it lasted about 3 weeks before I was back on everything. Best thing todo it cut it out completely!! Only you can decide if you truly want this life, I hope you make the right decision. And well done for speaking up.

1 Like

You have it already, it’s there!:hugs::heart:

3 Likes

Moderate or Normal drinkers, don’t have to put this much thought into moderating. They just do it. If it’s hard or takes effort to moderate, it’s likely a problem that appears to only be solved by total abstinence.

5 Likes

No. Below is how I learned the answer to that question.

I remember when I actually realized I was truly not in control of my drinking–under any circumstances. It started with me telling my newly acquired therapist ‘idk if I’m alcoholic, I mean I definitely drink too much. But I bet if I drank again, I could not get drunk.’ my therapist said something along the lines of ‘well if you can prevent yourself from getting drunk, then you aren’t an alcoholic’. I left thinking hell yes, got the green light from my therapist.

That night, I did the usual purchase at the liquor store and went home but that night was going to be different. That night I was only going to have one strong mixer, because that night I was proving to myself that I wasn’t an alcoholic. What could possibly go wrong :rofl:.

I ended up getting suicidal again. Bottle empty. I texted my sister who told my dad. He drove two hours to spend the night at my house. I then lived with my parents two hours away, driving back and forth to work everyday as I needed no more convincing.

My next appointment with my therapist I said ‘so yeah I’m for sure and alcoholic’. My therapist smiled and we started the journey. Now I refuse to give up any of the things sobriety has brought into my life.

Stay strong

7 Likes

Such a good way to look at it man!

2 Likes

“I Don’t get into trouble every time I drink, but every time that I was in trouble, I was drinking”

10 Likes

For me moderate drinking was a 6 pack. Id have a few months sober and thought i had it all figured out. So id try just buying a 6 pack. That never worked. Id find myself drinking my wifes or buddies alcohol after i drank mine. Or id just run and pick up more. Im the type of alcholic that has no quit once i get started. Every bit of alcohol in my house or wherever i was would have to get drank. Id also go to bars and maintain myself all night but as soon as a hour until closing hit id start drinking as much as i could because i knew it was about to be last call, ordering 2 drinks at a time and drink them in 2 or 3 drinks and head right up for more. For me, moderate drinking is not possible

3 Likes

That makes perfect sense to me. I think if you are lucky enough to make it to that point, you have earnt the right to identify as a person who is no longer an alcoholic. All former alcoholics will still have those dormant tendencies though, which is why we all have to stay vigilant :blush:

3 Likes

That’s great Sarah! I hope you check in here on your sober date to celebrate!
Then we all can party with you! :tada::confetti_ball::tada:

2 Likes

Ex Addicts…hmmmm🤔 i do not trust myself. I feel a little bit safer with lifetime addicted.
If i drink one shot, i can,t stop it…that,s the truth

3 Likes

It’s all in the mindset. Get used to believing that you are a non drinker now. Get comfortable saying it and living it.
Don’t care what other people think, this is for you, if you loose people because of it, then that is their problem not yours. If fmates are real mates they will love you no matter what.
And believe me when I say that I have more fun out with my mates now than I have done for a long time. I’m not worrying about how much I’m drinking compared to them, I’m not sneaking drinks in because they’re “too slow”.
Remember, it’s you that you are doing it for, not anyone else.

4 Likes

It’s also pretty clear on this app if one looks around that it just doesn’t work.
There are loads of stories of people who have tried and found out the hard way.
When I started I actually listened to these people.
Some don’t, at their cost.
This isn’t aimed at you Brook mate, your doing great, I just used your quote.
One of the first things I read on here was this and it’s kinda stuck with me.
" I’d rather go through life sober, believing I’m an alcoholic, than go through life drink , trying to convince myself that I’m not."

5 Likes

No offense taken - I agree with you 100 percent in that it can not be managed in the long term, even if it can be managed on a 1 off.

Reason I even entertained the idea is because I do subscribe to the research that has been done on drugs like Naltrexone and its benefits. That would be the only instance in which I would say it may be worth a try because with the sinclair method you are essentially drinking to re-train your mind and its reward system.

Like all drugs though, it depends on the user and I would say this treatment would only be applicable to users who aren’t on the very severe end of the alcoholism spectrum. Also the work would still need to be the main focus of recovery as well even when taking these sorts of receptor blockers.

2 Likes