Is moderate drinking possible again?

As my friend Ang said, that’s why it is called the present. :heart: I love that too.

1 Like

Nope, not for this guy. Now you? If you can be one & done a time or two during the week, I say yes. But if drinking for effect is you too, then I say nope.

1 Like

Id use heroin moderately, but its like the DOORs song, when the musics over turn out the lights…turn out the lights… turn out the lights…:disappointed:

The people who can drink are wonderful they look at us and think were crazy, theyll drink a few sips on their cocktail and let it sit the rest of the night or have bottles of hard liquor or wine that could last for several drunks and not attemp to drink it all in one sitting LOL. Wow, in my partying days id just think’ more for me’:face_vomiting:

2 Likes

I’ve thought about moderation and attempted it a million times. Then I heard this guy say it’s like moderating how much poison one would drink. Why drink poison at all? Seriously, it tastes like shit compared to other things, has zero health benefits, makes one less intelligent, why drink it?

13 Likes

I thought I could go from a binge drinker of 25+ years to moderation…I can’t :ok_hand:

8 Likes

Amen! Moderation is not possible for a true alcoholic. I’m am alcoholic and moderation doesn’t work for me!

5 Likes

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.
“Alcoholics Anonymous”, page 30

I cannot simultaneously enjoy my drinking and control it, and I cannot control my drinking and enjoy it. I pursued this illusion into the prison gates and heard them clang behind me.

8 Likes

Hello, I just celebrated 6 months sober after 33 years of drinking, we are planning a family trip to Germany next year. Always wanted to drink a beer in Germany. But by that time I would be 1.5 years sober, and I think “ Why would I throw all that work away?” I would have to say no on going back to moderate

5 Likes

I’m not even a alcoholic, and I know I can’t drink because it leads me back to my doc, I’m a addict regardless of what I’m doing, drugs, pills, booze, men, gambling, I need to find away to feel that void without any of the above, so if your doc is alcohol then my view would be, definitely not many have tried and failed, don’t be a sastistic.(personel view)

1 Like

@Thirdmonkey, is this the thread you were thinking of?

One of many

1 Like

@Dutchbelgian

I believe the following link will help answer your question and explain why:

1 Like

Hello there, I too have tried multiple times to moderate. It creeps right back to alcoholic drinking even with the best of intentions. We lose our inhibitions after a drink, and then can’t control it. I actually read that alcohol cause large doses of dopamine to dump into our system. Then our bodies create more dopamine receptors to deal with it. The receptors never die, so the second we drink, all of these excess receptors light up making you want more. Which is why so many say moderation is actually more miserable than just surrendering to the idea of abstinence and being free from thinking about it all the time. Hope this helps!

17 Likes

You explain this very well thank you :slightly_smiling_face: and welcome to the community.

2 Likes

Welcome @Dark2Light !!!

2 Likes

Amen to this. You explained it so well. I love the freedom of not drinking.

1 Like

Love this!

1 Like

Nah, it seems unlikely

The grave yard i pass has guys in there who thought maybe i can control it. i had a desire and the effort i put in to stay sober and over the years seen others who thought that they could drink again in moderation has strengthened my desire to stay sober

6 Likes