Is my current situation holding me back or am I looking for excuses

My husband has his own issues to deal with. I’m desperate to stop drinking but I feel he doesn’t give me the support I need. I think if I lived on my own I would have been asleep hours ago.

3 Likes

I have only one suggestion; go sit in at a meeting. Listen to some stories. There might be some comfort in there.

3 Likes

I know…I fantasize about someone helping me. But only I can do that

4 Likes

My husband still drinks.
I am almost 4 years sober. My sobriety and alcoholism are mine and mine alone, same with his. The only thing I have control over is myself and the way I react to things. I choose to be sober, and be kind. I get frustrated with him sometimes, but anger at his drinking doesn’t do either of us any good. Eventually his drinking slowed down a lot, and now he only has a couple drinks on Friday evenings.
That being said, you are holding yourself back. I have complete faith in your ability to not use your husband as an excuse. If I can do it you can do it. :hugs:

7 Likes

Hey there! My husband drinks, so I hear you. It can feel so challenging living with someone who drinks. I don’t know the heart of your marriage, only you know if it is a relationship worth having…certainly not every marriage or relationship is a value add to our lives. I just wanted to let you know we can and do get sober even while living with a partner who drinks.

Take a look at some of these threads, there is plenty of info and inspiration in them.

For me, once I got that my sobriety was 100% my responsibility and 100% separate from my husband drinking, it helped me string one day after another. Keep the focus on YOU and your sobriety. It can be done!!

6 Likes

You are a beautiful person! … I’m such a mess right now… I’m
Looking to place the blame elsewhere.

3 Likes

We are all messes sometimes. The good thing is that you can reach out and connect with other people who have been, or still are where you are.
I want nothing but the best for you, and I hope once your days get a little higher that your husband will see the good it’s doing and support you.

5 Likes

I’m in the same boat. Today is my day 1 and was supposed to be the same for my husband too, but he already broke. We’re in the process of getting separated and while this is my journey to sobriety I am so ready and welcome to the freedom to make it my journey, alone.

5 Likes