Is this part of withdrawal?

Hi all. Feeling nervous to post here - been sober 2 days. It feels weird to even say that because I previously didn’t consider myself to have a problem (like many of you, successful in career etc,etc). I’m SUPER irritable and tired right now…my kids’ voices alone are driving me crazy! Just wanted to see if that’s typical for withdrawal and how long it lasts.

7 Likes

Welcome! Yes this is extremely normal, I would say that’s one of the most typical symptoms of withdrawal. Fortunately it’s also a harmless, although annoying, side effect. :slightly_smiling_face:

One of the biggest things you’ll have to adjust to in sobriety is learning how to deal with feelings and emotions without the crutch of your DOC. It’s a great thing but it can be scary and challenging at times.

I can’t say how long the irritability will last but if you read around the forum there is lots of great advice on how to work through it. So read away!

The best advice I can give is when you find yourself in an irritable mood, try to think of all the good ways in which being sober is changing your life. That may help you get out of a funk because the pros always outweigh the cons, in my opinion.

5 Likes

Oh gosh. I still get this way sometimes at almost 7 months. Not as bad as the early days… Everything your going to experience is going to be normal. The important part is stay positive, don’t listen to that one little unconscious voice your going to hear… I know my biggest thing that really pissed me off in the early days was always setting expectations and thinking I was going to be healed in the first 30 days and sobriety was just going to give me everything. It doesn’t and it’s alot of work, it’s all worth it. But it’s not easy, sobriety hurts some days… Some days it hurts for weeks. But through each blank feeling of confusion comes a beautiful soul of clarity on the other side… just never give up

4 Likes

Welcome @Anonymous83! You’re amongst a great group of people. This forum has been my saving grace for the past 11 months. I found a lot of great advice in past threads by using the search option at the top. When I’m having a tough day, I’ll come on here and read the meme thread to change my thoughts. Also, posting on the daily check in thread is a great form of accountability. Here’s the link:
Checking in daily to maintain focus #17

3 Likes

Yeah it likely is. Not sure if alcohol is what you’re dealing with, but I had bouts of forgetfullness and that made me irritable.

Everyone is different. For me, symptoms only lasted a few days, but psychological things like cravings still knock on the ol’ cranium like a bully from grade school after 30 days.

1 Like

Yes it is part of the healing process sucks but your body is healing. Stick with gets better with time.

1 Like

Hi welcome!!! Yesssss you’re normal :slight_smile: I checked myself into rehab about 5/6 years ago and they put me in the wing for emotional issues (I thought it was just alcohol but turns out more depression) and there was a guy there in a loud manic phase. I wanted to suffocate him with a pillow :pleading_face: I’m usually about the most patient person you can come across! Coming down is a sensitive time. It passed for me :slight_smile: I just removed myself until the immediate feeling subsided HUGS :hugs::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

This might help a bit too:

Absolutely normal, can be worse depending on former DOC and habits. What habit is it you’re trying to kick?

And remember, it’s a feeling we can look forward to having to go through all over again if we pick back up. If you can ride it out though, this can be the last time!

I was a drinker and that first couple weeks was tough. Crazy mood swings, etc. Deep breaths, catch up on sleep, maybe have a bite of chocolate when feeling cranky. It passes.

2 Likes

Oh right, should have specified - I’m in the process of quitting drinking.

1 Like

Here’s a handy dandy reference from our good man @Dejavu about PAWS:

alcohol-withdrawal-timeline-chart

The struggle is real, but we only have to do it once if we work at it!

1 Like