Is this trial triggering anyone else?

Trigger Warning: DV/alcohol use

I didn’t know who Amber Heard was at the time I saw “London Fields” (admittedly a very unimpressive movie). So I Googled her. Beautiful young lady divorcing a man old enough to be her father. So typically Hollywood it didn’t bear a second thought. But this has blown up into the trial of the century for some reason.
I find it triggering me for reasons I can’t quite put a finger on. I ended up drinking 4 beers last night. :frowning: My own DV experience was mostly emotional/verbal with a little slapping and shoving. I got off lighter than Mr. Depp. I guess maybe it bothers me that she confessed in a conversation recorded on her own telephone, which included the taunt, “Nobody is going to believe you”, and yet this whole thing remains in litigation. Thoughts, anyone?

4 Likes

Honestly… I have been triggered. Not to use but about my past experience with my ex and DV. The way his body language is when he talks, the dismissive nature of Amber, the conversation about the abuse. Yup… its triggered alof of DV stuff from my past. I choose not to watch it. I would like to know the outcome bcuz I’m hoping there is justice. But it is definitly triggering.

3 Likes

Yeah, I probably won’t watch any more of it because of how it makes me feel. I was struck in particular when he was sharing a bittersweet memory of meeting her for the first time and she was so unblinking and emotionless. just gave me the creeps how she could be so distant when it so important to him.

2 Likes

Yes it is for me, so sad to see him go through all that while she is so cold and emotionless, I won’t be watching her stuff next week

2 Likes

Typically I am intrigued by court cases, watch true crime shows, etc., but this is not one I can handle watching. I’ve only seen a few clips and have no desire to follow it - definite some triggers there (my own DV past and the mixed up shit that can happen in codependency, not just DV). I’ve had issues watching Depp’s acting for a while now after hearing about addiction issues and really have no awareness of her or her work. I’m stepping out of this one for the time being. Sorry it was such a big trigger for you, good call coming here to talk about it and possibly avoiding the coverage.

2 Likes

Thank you! I actually steer away from true crime shows - watching something knowing its fictional is okay, but true crime hurts too much to watch because I know there is real person there. I guess I looked at it because I kinda had a crush on Amber until I realized what rotten soulless person she truly is.
I’m still interested in the outcome, but I don’t think I’ll watch it unfold.

2 Likes

Sounds smart. I’ll also be interested in the outcome because I think it could be setting some precedents (maybe).

1 Like

I don’t have any comment about the trial, however I noticed it caused you to drink. In the future, I encourage you to take the opportunity and face those emotions head on and work through them. I know it will be very difficult but if you never do it, you’ll always go back to drinking. It’s where us alcoholics find comfort. When I entered recovery, I was told to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. It’s not easy at all but it will get easier the more you do it.

7 Likes

It certainly will affect a lot of people. She is a model for L’Oreal Paris, and principal photography for Aquaman 2 has already been been completed, it would cost millions to reshoot.
But she also represents #MeToo, and she’s a Women’s Rights ambassador for the ACLU, Human Rights champion for the U.N., among others. A lot of people are gonna look real stupid admitting she’s the abuser.
It’s not going to end well. For anybody.

2 Likes

You are completely right, of course. I’ve just haven’t had this kind of discomfort before. It’s just aggravating me somehow. I don’t know how to explain it.

4 Likes

I completely understand because I’ve been there myself. If something comes up again, please come here and post about even if you don’t know how to express it or how you’re feeling. I found just putting it out here, the answers will come with the help from others. Or try journaling, writing it out can bring answers from within. Just be willing to try anything before picking up that first drink.

4 Likes

You know, it was about this time last week I did exactly that same thing, I reached out here first and it did a world of good. I don’t know how I managed to mess up only one week later… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

It’s OK. Your back.

I hope me joking about it in the memes thread didn’t add to your trigger.

I hadn’t even heard of Amber until the memes started popping up everywhere. I watched a few minutes of a boring YouTube video to try and learn what was going on.

I assumed she was just trying to Gold dig on Johnny Depp from what little I watched.

My YouTube feed has been flooded with content about the case, but I won’t click, knowing that YouTube will stop showing it if I don’t click.

I’m glad your back!

2 Likes

Thanks, Jason. I’m trying to avoid it. But like a car accident, there’s something I can’t take my eyes off of it. I got to though, cuz I’m only going to feel worse.

2 Likes

This trial is doing a lot of damage to the ever so more “popular” mental health topic (pardon my sarcasm). Blaming a mental disorder on someone in order to WIN a case? If anything (if true!) it should be making her case, not his. I also don’t appreciate people being these amazing mind readers when they say Amber is acting cold or she is distant etc etc. Everyone deals with trauma in a different way. Only the the two of them (and staff who is paid poor wages and can be easily bought) know what happened. The fact is that this is a reality in many marriages and relationships and it doesn’t get this kind of publicity. And once it does, we’re blaming the “mentally ill”?

It is also a great example of denial in addicts. “I don’t have a problem”, “the photo is staged”, “it wasn’t like that - I can explain”, “my mother, my father, my cousin” …

I can’t get over how smug JD was acting on MANY occasions when the “physics” of DV was described. I really struggle with this trial too, but for different reasons than you. My mother was abused by my father and nobody believed her because she was this strong independent woman. He took photos of her and people described her facial expressions as over the top (she was looking sad, distant, …). He was a master manipulator and she is still considered the one who “destroyed their marriage”. He did terrible things to her I don’t want to get into.

I am so sorry you had to go through what you did and if I know something is that you coming out of that at the end as a winner just proved your strength and that I applaud.

2 Likes