It’s everywhere!

Is it me or is alcohol literally everywhere?!?!

I’m new to this, this is my first week and I’m feeling positive but I’ve never realised till now how much alcohol is encouraged. Whether I’m on social media or I’m watching a tv programme, an advert or shopping! It’s everywhere! I’m watching a morning tv programme now and they are talking about how great it would be to have a glass of cider with their breakfast! Like what?!?!

12 Likes

It is everywhere, but I think you’ll start noticing it less once you are sober longer. I’m a gaming addict and you may have noticed that gaming is everywhere too, but after 280+ days, I barely notice it anymore

6 Likes

Was watching a drama and it was drink to celebrate, drink for courage, drink when sad, drink when stressed… I swear the actors had glasses in their hands the whole time!

2 Likes

Oh yes, just look through the birthday cards in a shop. Not just alcohol but in excess. In the series “Peaky Blinders” someone knocks back a tumbler of whisky in one go in just about every scene. It’s like punctuation.:crazy_face:

2 Likes

I wanted the adrenaline, I’m an adrenaline junkie. I love height course for example.
I also had a lot of friends. I always was that kid everyone knew and liked in the rpg’s. I was always willing to help newbies. And in the shooter I played, I was one of the best free-aimers. People loved playing with me and I made a name for myself. My clips were featured on a 100k subscription channel a few times. I loved that attention. And I loved the social connection.
But most importantly, I wanted to avoid the emotional pain. I wanted to forget the abuse, the bullying, the mourning but most importantly the fact that I was ruining my life

2 Likes

And without screwing their face up!

Just cus it’s there doesn’t mean we have to be part of it.
In case you haven’t noticed it’s big business. Many people’s fortunes rely on it.
There’s a lot of violence around but don’t mean I have to be a violent person. Just as I’m someone who doesn’t drink.
I ignore it because both are not going anywhere soon

Edit, I bought a white car, all of a sudden I see a lot of white cars I didn’t notice before.
Same thing.

5 Likes

Honestly it’s crazy isn’t it!! Everyone is always drinking on tv I swear :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Maybe we will have to agree to disagree on some of those points. I bought a new car the other day and I don’t see the same car everywhere I go or do I hear it being spoken about everywhere I turn or see people driving it on tv every channel I put on. But I do agree it is a big business and I’m not trying to ‘moan’ about it as such I’m purely saying that now I notice how much it is encouraged in our society. Smoking used to be on adverts and was encouraged by your doctor if you were stressed! Times change…

3 Likes

It doesnt matter your doc. When your trying to quit it’s in your face all the time. And when life starts stressing you out…there it is again. Hang in there, it gets better…keep making the next right decision!

4 Likes

Times do indeed change. I used to drink seven days a week all day now I don’t. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:
But yes I agree with you it is everywhere and we do notice it more and you will get used to it being there.
Well done on the week by the way. That’s great going.:facepunch:

1 Like

Thank you! Much appreciated - love this app and I think without all you guys I would found this week a lot harder :heart:

2 Likes

Gotta love Peaky Blinders though!!

1 Like

It is indeed almost everywhere. I don’t know where you live, but here in Europe, it’s even EASIER to find than it is in N.America. The store where I buy water has all of the wine AND beer AND cider in the aisle through which I must pass in order to get to the water ! The spirits and other things are closer to the cash register, but all still really accessible. And certainly, it does appear EVERYWHERE in TV programmes and movies, that’s for sure.
I’m only at 24 days now (this time), so I’m still noticing it everywhere too, but I’m finding it easier NOT to notice it, gradually. I don’t go to restaurants much, since they aren’t much fun by myself, but when I do go to a place, it’s getting easier NOT to order beer or wine, that’s for sure.
Anyway, as other people have mentioned, you’ll gradually find it easier to ignore.

1 Like

@Kels started a really interesting thread about this earlier this year - lots of insightful posts:

1 Like

I am sad to say I used to listen to a feature on Absolute Radio in the evening called “Drunk versus Stoned”. It asked callers to ring in if they were drunk or stoned on weed. They then pitched someone who was drunk against someone who was stoned with mental exercises and listened to them making tits of themselves. I am sad to say that I found it amusing, especially when I was sober. From the title of the feature people were in no doubt about what they were in for. I don’t think I’m too a bad person because everyone took part voluntarily and people laughed at them rather like they would do a village idiot in days gone by. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Much more harmful I think is when drinking and drugging is normalised. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

It’s true. Personally I think our culture has a really, really strong push towards avoidance and escape, in general. We see it in this circus of drugged/drunk people, but we also see it in the circus of people chasing one lie or another: if I just have enough money, I’ll be happy; if I just have enough time or the right person or job or friends or whatever.

Always chasing something we don’t have. Or laughing at what others don’t have.

And what we miss in all this madness is the peace of being present in our perfectly imperfect life, with our perfectly imperfect self. There is tranquillity and acceptance there. But we have to be at peace with what we don’t have. :innocent:

4 Likes

Well said Bro!
Takes a life change for one to see.
Some never find it. Forever chasing the lie.

1 Like