It’s me versus me

As I wake up once again hungover and pretty much have that guilt of what I did yesterday. I’ve been so stressed with work and life in general. And going through a bad break up doesn’t help. A huge part of me is emotionally mentally exhausted. I got into some legal issues a few months back that pretty much forced me to attend AA meetings which help but one person told me that I should see a therapist because it seemed like their was a underlying issues that I need to address that triggers me to drink. It’s hard to talk to friends or even family because everyone has said the same thing “Just stop drinking” easier said then done. Slowly and surely I hope I can get the right help soon.

14 Likes

It’s a pity you were forced into AA most people end up there bc they are desperate and tried everything else they can to try and stop but keep going back bc millions of sober people can’t all be wrong. Personally I found it to be free therapy by the time I got a sponsor and did steps 4 and 5 so that’s another road you might like to go down. It’ll also help with all the excuses we find to drink and the way life makes us feel, We All Feel Something, it’s how we react which is important.
I wish you well on your journey and never stop trying. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Sorry to hear you’re going through a breakup. There are several people around TS dealing with breakups, including me. You can search for the keyword breakup or break up to find the posts/threads.

Therapy helps me a lot to figure out and deal with issues I covered by drinking. Maybe give it a try. Self medication by alcohol is as common as dangerous because this neurotoxine messes up with your body chemicals where you would need healthy, stabilizing input/intake.

Take it one day at a time, from minute to minute. Get a lot of sleep. Write about your feelings, it helps to get them off your chest. Meditation, even short ones, help(ed) me a lot to manage the different feelings coming and going in waves. Remember: Everything passes. You are not alone. Come here and vent, write down what’s in your mind, heart and gut.
Remember to check HALT. You are detoxing. Drink alot of water and tea to rehydrate and comfort your soul. Take vitamin tabletts to refill your storage, it will help your body to heal. Go for a walk / take a bath to comfort your soul. Be kind to yourself. You deserve a sober live. That’s far more than just “stop drinking”. Non-addicts don’t understand the hard about “just stop”. Focus on yourself :people_hugging::sunflower:

5 Likes

I think it is hard when we are forced into something as opposed to wanting it / finding it on our own.

Life definitely can be hard. I know. For me, it really helps to not make it (me) worse by drinking and being regretful and hungover. Not drinking takes that part of hard out of the equation.

Therapy is always a good idea IMHO. We can all learn stuff about our selves and learn some helpful tools to assist us in navigating life’s ups and downs…which will always be there.

Wishing you the best in your journey thru life. :yellow_heart:

6 Likes

I was never able to even attempt to stop when I felt like I was being forced into it. Not by family, friends, doctor’s, nobody. All it made me do was resent them, like they were trying to take something good away from me. I had to finally be so sick and fed up with how I felt and how bad things were going that I wanted to quit. As far as people who don’t drink or drink normally, they’ll never understand. You have to surround yourself with like minded people who are also in recovery. Spend some time reading and talking to people in here. They’re here when you need them. :v:

4 Likes

Thank you for your words of encouragement :hugs:

1 Like

Thank you so much and will look up a couple sites you mentioned :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Thank you so much and yes I think the therapy will help or a good starting point :blush:

1 Like

Yeah I agree and thank you for the words of empathy :raised_hands:

1 Like

I started going to counseling back when I got into the military and got stationed in a remote location on my own with now family or anything. I drank a lot then but I continue to attend counseling now in sobriety 8 years later and it really does help! I work on my own personal problems which did help me realize I drink under stress a lot and also, I have always been seen as the life of the party so subconsciously I felt pressured to drink even though I never felt or realized that. People would goad me into drinking because they enjoyed my wild side but the more I drank the more I realized I hated that part of me and didn’t want to be that person anymore! I enjoy and love my sober self and that’s who I want to be everyday! Keep at it one day at a time!

5 Likes

What are you doing to help your own sobriety beyond the court ordered things?

1 Like

Just remember setbacks are not failures you have so much life to live and we all deserve so much keep your head up you got this! :relaxed:

1 Like

At this point I’m already attending AA twice a week and thinking about getting a sponsor.

3 Likes

Thank You, I appreciate it :raised_hands:

I’m the same way, I’m always the first to get invited to dinners, bday parties etc. But I’m to the point where I need to take a step back for my sobriety for now I have too.

2 Likes

Your title is soooooo true. It’s the worst inside job in the existence of humans. When we get out of our own head, we have a fighting chance.
I do it by simply helping others like me, applying the steps in my every day life and when shit gets all wrong in my head about whatever, I let my HP handle it.
Simple program for this simple alcoholic.

2 Likes