It's coming up to Friday and I'm just holding on

Its almost Friday. And I usually go out every weekend. Especially living in surfers paradise… it’s very hard not to. I really want to maintain my sobriety… does anyone have advice when it comes to the weekends. I’m going to battle this as hard as I can

10 Likes

I’m coming up to my third sober weekend this century. To be honest I’ve got no method, just willpower.
Living in the moment and constant reminding myself how shit it is being hung over, anxiety and drinking into blackouts…… it’s better to go through a night of craving than a life of misery.

Keep being strong. You can do it…

2 Likes

Only worry about today, that’s the best advice in general. Friday is just another day, maybe hit up a meeting and make new friends? Or try something new this weekend? I remember how hard the weekends were in the beginning but after you win on that first one they get easier and easier! I wish you well

3 Likes

Make a mission for yourself. The mission is spend time on the weekend finding out what everyone ELSE (those not partying in the traditional sense) is doing in surfers paradise. Trust me, they are there and are alive and having a good time, too. Make a point to visit other places you havent been.

Do you have coffee shops with music? Any gaming groups? Malls? I dont know what you have there but its not all alcohol and drugs :slight_smile:

Best wishes! You can do it!

4 Likes

Thanks everyone I appreciate the advice… the advice really strengthens my will power I no I got this thank you

3 Likes

Try a meeting might help with your weekends wish you well

2 Likes

This might help but get up at 4am and go to the gym and keep busy all day you will be too tired by 5pm to want to go out.

Stay strong brother

2 Likes

I felt the same way in the beginning. I was afraid to go anywhere, parties, events, etc. I learned how to say NO, and sometimes it took lying. I would tell people I was on meds, and I couldn’t drink because of it.

Stay strong, bro!

1 Like

Thanks guys for the support it really helps thank you

The weekends sober need to be spent well creating new grooves of enjoyment; a bath, camp out, read a book for hours, listen to vinyl, drink coffee, hike. I find making nice plans with whomever you feel stable around is the best plan… Or just enjoy peace and good sleep and rest. Friday night is always my treat ping alarm. Work pc off, then the demons roll in. But I know if I have even one drink Friday I’m still drinking Monday. So, hang on tight.

2 Likes

I love the advice you have gotten, getting up early to work out so you’re too tired at night, choosing a meeting over a piss-up, not thinking past today as it’s a 24 hr program.

All solid advice, my advice is don’t go.

I mean you could line up a group of addicts and alcoholics who have a substantial amount of sobriety and cleantime under their belt and ask them all, " How many of you went to bars, crack shacks and hung out at your dealers houses when you were trying to clean up?" I bet they would all raise their hands BUT I bet very few of them did it in the first few months of this current string of sobriety or clean time they had.

Going to establishments like that when you are newly in recovery is like licking a razorblade. You need to guard your recovery with all your might, always. Come here and hang out with us on the Friday night thread we will keep you company.

Friday Thread #2

:orange_heart::seedling::dizzy:

4 Likes

It’s such a good feeling to be able to open my phone and have like minded people on the same battle replying with the advice given. Thanks alot. I do feel much stronger and have some great ideas to get me threw the weekend

1 Like

Compare how you will feel on Saturday morning if you DONT drink on Friday night to how you will feel of you DO drink on Friday.

Getting up fresh is much better than getting up fucked, anxious and full of regret.

Stay strong, you can do it.

2 Likes

Hi Jai, fellow Aussie and GC’er here :wave:

Have you now come up with a bit of a plan, alternative ideas for Friday night?
I definitely wouldn’t tempt fate although that’s abit hard living right in the middle of it there! Tricky but not impossible :sweat_smile:

Do you attend AA? I only ask because there is a meeting Friday night at Paradise Point and Saturday night at Isle of Capri. I can share the local meeting list to you if you’re interested. I found the night time meetings were a real safety net for me when I would esp feel tempted.

In the early days it also really helped me to plan an early morning hike out at Springbrook or Binna Burra. Nothing like fresh, clean air and waterfalls :raised_hands:t3:

And of course we are all here to reach out to! Being a world wide group there is always someone active and up for a chat.
Just focus on getting through it one day at a time, sometimes 1 hour at a time but just don’t pick up that first drink. You can do this :slightly_smiling_face:

“I really regret not drinking last night” said no one ever. Waking up sober and clear headed never gets old, best feeling :raised_hands:t3:

4 Likes

Hahaha! :rofl::rofl: I like it.

1 Like

Come check on here and see what others do on Friyays!

1 Like