Its now or never again starting Day 1

Its been as low as you could go for me for the past couple of months … black outs at family events, lashing out at friends, causing concern and stress to my family… meanwhile continuing to drink away secretly, earlier and earlier in the day. AA was a good start and a good first step in fessing up to my sins … but I find it a bit depressing and everyone seems to be sober for 20 years. Hoping that posting daily here, reading others inspirational and tracking my progress … Another Day 1, please may this be my last.

17 Likes

Have you tried going to different meetings to find one that’s a good fit, if it gets ym and keeps your dinner surely it’s worth keeping going back.
Our have you lived for any smart recovery meetings near to you?:thinking::slightly_smiling_face:

Sober for 20 years? Those sound like the type of people I’d be asking for advice.

4 Likes

That’s what I was thinking :joy:

2 Likes

Hi there - I am going to go to a beginner meeting. That the point I was making. Bit of a sarcastic response there …

2 Likes

Hi Lisa. I am in your exact spot right now. I have a major drinking problem that includes day drinking while working from home. Needless to say, I’ve been to three AA meetings starting three plus weeks ago, came out about my problem to most of my friends and therapist. I relapsed very badly this weekend. I did just see an addiction counselor that works with my therapist. She just strongly recommended 28 days inpatient which will likely cost me my job or force me to leave on my own because I will be too embarrassed and ashamed to return. It will also most likely cause embarrassment for my kids as it won’t be hard for others to figure out I’m in rehab. Anyway, I’m so sorry to hijack. I just want you to know I’m right there with you today.

5 Likes

What do you mean, I wasn’t being sarcastic.
If your are referring to my comment that said ‘that’s what I was thinking.’
I said that because I had been thinking that people with 20+ years of sobriety would be the ideal people to help you get and stay sober.
There was nothing sarcastic about it, addiction is often life or death so I’m not about to discourage someone from using this app as a resource just so I can take the piss out of them🙂

1 Like

Think you have taken mine and English d,s comments in a way other than how either of us intended them :slightly_smiling_face:

I am so sorry to hear about that. I had lasted about three weeks too. But they say it only takes a few weeks to change a habit … so maybe you try again, without having to do the whole rehab thing. Would love to talk more with you!

OK good to know - Its not easy to come on here and spill your guts. with your life crashing down. So any support and advise appreciated. I am going to find a beginner meeting as AA is a fantastic resource :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It may be that your overthinking the embarrassment thing. A lot of people struggle with alcohol and society, governments and the alcohol industry try to train us to believe that alcohol is a completely normal thing to drink all the time, they even advertise beers to drink in the shower. Add to that the fact that alcohol is extremely addictive and there really is no shame in developing a problem with it.
Also in the us if that’s where you live, I’m not sure, I have seen it said in here that companies have to allow you time off if you need rehabilitation.
I’m not trying to be unsympathetic to your situation, I would just hate to see your not get some help your may need based on thinking people will see your shamefully :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I know it’s not easy and sometimes when people join it’s all fresh in your mind and raw so it’s very easy to take comments the wrong way. I’m sure your will find a meeting that suits you and that your feel comfortable sitting in.
In the meantime you can use the search function at the top, there are some good threads. If your ok with me doing so I will search some out quickly and tag you in them. The notifications will come up in the top right, if you click on them it will take you to the said thread? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have just tagged you in a load of threads :+1:

I’ve been going to a meeting every monday for 8 months theres a bunch there from 20yrs to 61yrs sober and some newer ones. I look up to how happy those long timers are and it shows AA works. I look up to them and my sponsor has 23 yrs. Keep at it. Share. Listen. It does work. All the best!

4 Likes

Typically a beginner meeting will have a few older members there to help new members get introduced to the literature

3 Likes

Appreciate that. I’m afraid it would do my career in, but I totally get what you’re saying. My addiction counselor was pretty adamant that I do inpatient. There are good IOPs around. I have some decisions to make. Appreciate you all.

1 Like

I didn’t make it three weeks, but a few 24 hour coins. :smirk:. I really have no choice going forward. Hope we can support each other through this. Meetings were hard and still are, but I know they will be a necessity going forward.

Every one who has 20 years, also had many day 1’s. They just kept getting up and after it, until it stuck.

Welcome. I am glad you are here and hope you will stay, share, learn, and grow.

2 Likes

If it was old timers at my early meetings that helped me get through these early stages by example and experience i wanted what they had and low and behold 33 years later ( no slips) it worked wish you well

3 Likes

Excellent feedback thanks!

I have been 8 days sober and feeling great. I have been focusing and almost OCD planning my evenings, making logs and this forum and the application have been a god send. Just another tool in the tool kit and I’ll head back to a women’s AA meeting on Saturday. For those who feel guilty relapsing, I’d have to say just learn from it and don’t repeat the same mistakes again. I feel emboldened and stronger this time. Hoping I can make it!

4 Likes