I've only gone and got meself a sponsor 😱

Hey guys I hope you all doing ok and your looking after one another I’m in a dilemma,I’ve just bagged myself a sponsor YAYYYYYYYY BUTTTTTTTT I’m very conflicted to say about me tapering off my methadone as I’m worried she might say sorry if that’s the case I can’t do it yet even though I’ve worked fucking hard this past 4 months to not pick up a drug going to meetings doing service also doing smart recovery reaching out to others etc so I feel I’m in a great place to start the steps but at the same time I don’t want my journey to be based on a lie is it my business what meds I take or is it her business to???any all advise on this would be helpful

6 Likes

I would only imagine a sponsor having an issue if you planned to stay on it but you have a taper plan in place. I would tell them, secrets keep us sick, I know this is a different kind completely than one that statement was made for but is it worth risking. That’s what I would do YMMV :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Way to go btw :+1:

1 Like

I really think you should tell your sponsor. If you start off with not telling everything you’ll probably feel bad about it and if gets harder to say it later. From my experience you need full transparency with your sponsor if you want the program to work. If your sponsor can’t deal with what you tell them and can’t give you any advice or encouragement it’s on them. At least you told the truth and that’s how you build a good foundation for the sponsorship. It sounds like your doing good so just keep it up and it will be fine :slight_smile::+1:

2 Likes

YMMV ??? Not sure what that means

Yeah totally get that but the point I’m trying to make which I should of been clearer about is if I was on anti depressants etc which you withdraw from aswell or any other addictive meds the drs given you would I be going thru my list of meds no I wouldn’t so why would my methadone be any different I’m trying to cover all angles of ppls views so I can make an informed decision ,I know in my heart and soul really what I want and need to do but it’s sooooo great to get others perception on it is there any sponsors out there to give me some advice on if you had a sponsee in this situation.

You mileage may vary, basically you may see it differently which is fine and your call. I get what your saying about other meds, I’ve texted my sponsor, he says that he would not have an issue with it and that he was in the same position when taken on by his sponsor who didn’t have an issue with it either. It’s completely your call and havn’t used in a long time so just do what feels best :+1:

1 Like

Ahhhhh Gareth that’s such a lovely thing to do thanks for hat helps me out alot I just wanted think she will personally might have an issue it as I know she works in a rehab facility as ia trainee and have been To this rehab before and it’s all about beening :100: clean otherwise your looked at like your not clean if that makes sense which I feel is very black and white when u know I know that it’s not just black and white this is why I’m alittle hesitant and reaching out for other ppls view

I have heard of a sponsor telling a sponsee that they would not work the steps with them whilst on maintenance medication but they had no intention of coming off it which I suppose can be looked at as they are leaving the door open to using again but I don’t know these people so it could just be hearsay. Anyone who isn’t familiar with the fear of withdrawal isn’t going to have a clue, as you know it’s not as black and white as they see it.
As I see it you have been on a script for a while, tapered off it but ended up with a habit again which I’ve don’t a lot of times, this time your putting in an awful lot of work whilst tapering to ensure you have a solid foundation so whatever you decide if she knows this then she shouldn’t have an issue :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks Gareth yeah it can be seen from many angles her doc also was alcohol sooooo yeah I’m not to sure tbh if she will fully get where I’m at with not using as I haven’t been four months clean in like 15 years if not more and us all the work I hav put it,I will put it to her and if she can’t sponsor me then like you or someone else said that’s in her and I know I can move forward knowing I was honest anymore input from others or yourself is most welcome.xx big respect buddy.xxxx

1 Like

I feel like if she has those views then she is not the person for you. I also feel that you will know the right person when you feel you can be honest about ALL your medications. I couldn’t do that type of work with someone who doesn’t know about my mental health medications. They have a huge impact on every aspect of our lives and a lot of things become issues when our medications aren’t working right.

Hopefully this is all your own insecurity and not an actual issue. I’d say that, for me, that’s the case 95% of the time.

4 Likes

:100::boom: your completely right in the fact that it is my insecurities and your right if sh has a. Issue see with my meds then she’s not someone I want in my corner there was only 2 women to choose from so I’m hoping between the two of us we can make it work.

3 Likes

@SassyRocks hey sweets it’s na not aa sorry I didn’t realize I put it it wrong title ooppps hope your well big love

1 Like

I stand corrected and corrected the tag!! I am sorry about that!! All good here, feeling better today, still in bed, no fever, cough and congestion both better …so that is a plus. And …sunshine!! Trying hard not to worry about my daughter and grandson who are across the country and she cannot work like so many people.

I am glad you have a sponsor!! You seem to be doing well! Hugs!!

1 Like

Lol cheers sassy ,I’m glad your feeling better it’s awful that your not near your loved ones but keep talking over face time etc ,life extremely strange ATM so all we can do is get each day over without given into our fears and insecurities.bug love n hugs always

2 Likes