Job interview

hey guys! so i have an interview back at my old job for the position i had. im kind of nervous about it cause a little bit before i got let go, HR actually found a little trace of my past with addiction, luckily for me i didnt get in trouble with it, they actually didnt do anything about it & its not the reason why i got let go. a little worried about how the interview is going to go, any tips? encouraging words? anything you think that might help me get my job back?
ps- i am working now & i love my current job, its just the hours arent there so thats why im looking for other jobs. i honestly didnt think my old job would give me an interview lol

7 Likes

The fact that they are giving you an interview is a good thing. That means that bridge wasn’t burned. Just relax and be yourself. You already did the job, so nothing they ask should be a surprise. Just be yourself and you’ll be fine. When you get there, thank them for the interview. When you leave, thank them for their time and the most important, that a LOT of people forget is, follow up after with a phone call; at least an email and thank them again and ask if there’s anything else they need from you. Good luck! I hope everything goes well. :smiley:

5 Likes

Before your interview, like 30 minutes before, find a private place and stand in a power stance for 30 to 60 seconds. Study’s show that this standing in this stance before doing something stressful actually lowers anxiety and increases your confidence. I’ve do it all the time and it works!

4 Likes

This is such a cool thing!!! I’m totally going to remember this!!!

2 Likes

I like the superman pose!

Here’s a quick read on it.

2 Likes

Yea heres 1 tip that may not apply to you in this case since they know you, but…

If they ask “tell me about yourself”

Don’t respond with your resume, they already read that, don’t go on and on about past accomplishments. I’m not sure what kind of role your in, but for the most part hiring managers (I am one) ask this question to give you the opportunity to pitch them. Make it short and make it sweet. Also, practice it. People always get worked up about this question but 99.9% of the time you are going to get asked it. Think if you were in college and before the exam, the teacher gave you a question before the test, a question you already knew the answer to. How to answer this question varies so take my advice on what not to do, and keep it short and simple.
What I look for in candidates is how composed they are when speaking about themselves. Don’t explain a job from 5 or 10 years ago, tell them about what you did in your last role (specifically what you accomplished at your present company) and then what you learned and plan on changing from that point forward. They fired you or let you go for a reason right? I wouldn’t dwell on this But it gives you the opportunity to make things right and prove that you’ve learned from it and are going to use that knowledge in this second chance that you are grateful for. Briefly explain some past achievements and how they have developed you as a person and worker. Practice practice and practice. Interviews do not and should not be a stressful thing. There is a reason they are bringing you back, this is a chance for you to showcase your worth and what value you plan on bringing to XYZ company moving forward

Dave

2 Likes

i haaaate when they ask “so tell me about yourself” lol i know thats usually one of the first questions but it trips me up all the time

interesting! never heard of this before, going to def try.

Ah the old tell me about yourself question. I’ve had people tell me EVERYTHING about themselves, really cringe worthy.

This is an ice breaker question, to get things rolling. There’s no wrong way to answer, but there is a right way. Please don’t tell me personal info, I dont need to know your marital status, how many kids you have, where you live, if you buy or rent, etc. Give me a 10 second, 3 sentence statement of who you are and what you can do for me and my organization! :wink:
…

1 Like

Well the GOOD thing is…you used to have this job so you know the job and you know you can DO the job. Focus on that. Promote that as much as you can. Who cares the “whys” of why it was no longer your job…just sell yourself as the perfect person for the job because it WAS your job!!

1 Like

And of course…be like Jessica. You can do anything good, better than anyone.

4 Likes

Correct, I’ve had a person start by saying “well after grade school…blah blah, and then in High school”…

She lost me at grade, and probably used “uhh” and “ummm” more times than ive ever heard!

So there are defidently ways to answer this wrong, we both named a few of them haha

When I applied to my manager role, they actually asked me that question first, as usual and I did something not many people would think about doing.

I pulled out 3 laminated power point slides that each served their own purpose in showcasing myself, achievements/accolades, and why I wanted/should be part of XYZ company and why I would be a great addition. This blew them away and the rest of the interview was cake.

3 Likes