Jobs, re-entering work force when sober

Hi fellow sober time folks. Question need advice on rejoining work force after being sober. When should one go back to work, what do you do about gaps in work history and resume. Do you tell potential employers. Looking for advice :blush::blush:Thanks

1 Like

I quit my job a drunk. Got sober 2 months later and 6 months after that I went back to work. All together, I was out of work for 8 months.

When you go back depends on you. I’d like to think you will know when you’re ready. I was ready; it just felt right.

As for how to explain a gap, first I would only offer an explanation if asked. I wouldn’t lie, but something as simple as “took a leave to care for a sick family member” would suffice. In a way, that’s true, you took care of you’re self. :wink:

Not sure where you’re at, but in the US prospective employers can’t ask for personal or medical related questions when interviewing you, so that answer is all you need to say.

How soon are you looking to get back to work?

9 Likes

Thanks @Dejavu very helpful! Looking to get back to work in one to two months.

1 Like

Slowly starting to put things into place. Looking forward to getting back to working.

1 Like

Tell them youve been travelling or dealing with health issues but you are 100% healthy now. I’ve used the travelling one a lot and it works well lol. You can say a shopping cart full of things. Nothing wrong with a white lie get gainfully employed. Thats just me.

2 Likes

I was out of work for 15 months. I’ve been open with both employers about my recovery. However, both employers have a high understanding of the disease and do not offer judgement. I was over 6 months sober when I got my first job.

1 Like

Thanks guys really good pointers, I used to work in hospitality/customer service so need to find something less stressful.

1 Like

When asked about my gap I would allude it was intentional and talk about it being the first time I spent that kinda time with my kid. ( summer before starting high school- taught him how to rede the bus in the city. Also got a chance to travel) Tell em a good reason. Be confident.
People didn’t question. Granted maybe due to being longtime in my career without any gaps.
For me I would never tell about being alcoholic. They would talk and word would spread.

1 Like

I will say I don’t recommend lying on a resume. As someone who has a decision in staffing at my company if I found out an employee lied on a resume I would fire them. You don’t have to talk about your disease if you don’t want to, but being intentionally dishonest on a resume it’s an absolute no-no.

3 Likes

I work in hospitality and it is indeed stressful! I get where you are coming from!!!

2 Likes

I am 39 days sober and just started a very rough job… I won’t lie, it’s overwhelming… However, it is helping my mind stay occupied. Go at your own pace, your mental health and wellbeing are extremely important. I wouldn’t worry too much about gaps, I had a 4 year gap and had 4 job offers.

1 Like

That and the fact that getting sober is all about getting honest too. I made the mistake of being completely honest years ago. Didn’t even get a call back LOL, and I had worked there before and was a good employee. Live and learn. I also feel like if more of us were able to be honest the truth of addiction would be seen.

Yeah, you can always just say medical issue (which it is), but I didn’t try to fill in my gap with things I didn’t do

1 Like

I think it took me about 6 months to start working again. The gap in employment was explained by telling I was dealing with a family issue.

I never mentioned anything about my alcoholism.

I go to work, do my job to the best of my ability and try not to piss anyone off.

Lying on a resume is not a great descion. Telling a potential employer you are a recovering alcoholic or addict can be just as bad or worse.

2 Likes