Just rambling about my life

Well, this is new to me. I guess I’ll just keep typing, and see what happens

I’m not not necessarily asking for help, maybe advice on what I should do or who I should talk too

I should start by saying. I’m quite young, 23. I get a lot of weird looks when I say I’m an addict. Or well, in recovery I should say.

Growing up, in not so great areas. With parents who were quite distant, I started to make bad decisions.
Had my first drink at 12, first cigarette at and first joint at 13
By the time I was 14 I was regularly drinking and doing coke, by 15 I was an addict. Drinking, coke, meth.

I spent the next two years living on the streets with dealers and users. Hadn’t been to school in a long while, to the point where my teachers actually forgot about me lol

When I turned 17, one of my old friends from school happened to walk past and barely recognized me. She told one of my school counsellors, who then started looking for me with the police. They found me pretty quickly, not like I was hiding.

They brought me to the hospital, I got checked out, they sobered me up and stuck me back in a classroom.
You can imagine how it felt being 17 in a classroom just starting to detox, right?
It was fucking terrible

I managed to stay a couple days but then I dissipeared again. It was a Monday when I was in school, by Thursday I was gone, by Friday I had overdosed.

I don’t remember how I ended up at the hospital.

After spending about a week in the hospital, they discharged me, but sent me for a psych evaluation. I never showed up.

My parents, really didn’t seem to care what happened to me, treated me like I wasn’t there anyway. They never tried to help. There was one who did though.

It was one of my teachers actually. She took it upon herself to find programs to help, therapy, rehabs, detox. When I showed up at school after my OD, she pulled me into her office and made me an offer. I accept her help, and she’ll give me another chance at school. (I only went to school that day to tell them I was dropping out).

I discided to accept. So off I went to this program for at risk youth.

I did the detox, went to therapy. And discided to try school again.

When I got back into school I was 18, and trying grade 10 again, (actually super embarrassing).

I felt like it was pretty hopeless, everyone my age was about to graduate. I was known as the school junkie, I struggled with every class, got diagnosed with a learning disability.

There was a point where everything turned around though, as cliche as it sounds. A girl, turned everything around for me.

I was having a smoke when she approached me, she was on the school cheer team.
All she did was ask what my name was, although I’m pretty sure she knew. I knew who she was, I was supposed to be in her grade. Pretty sure she’s watched what happened with me.

A few days later she offered to help me with my English and math classes, cause someone told her I was dislexic.

So she was helping me for a few weeks, she took a lot of flack from everyone in her grade for helping the junkie. Never seemed to faze her though.

Because of her I passed grade 10 and 11. But by the time I got into grade 12, she’d been graduated for 2 years.

She was still helping me, her parents even got to know me, and they fed me, bought me clothes. Sometimes even let me crash on their couch (I stopped going home in grade 11. Too toxic of an environment)

When I got into grade 12, I actually asked her out on a date. Which she actually responded with “finally”.

She got made fun of by her friends, not only is she dating a guy in high school, but a recovering addict. Still, she stayed.

By the time I graduated high school, I had gained almost 80 lbs of weight, hadn’t had a drink or any drugs in 2 years.

But after high school I had to figure out what the fuck I’m doing now, my girlfriend was a makeup artist who made good money. She let me move in with her, I lived off her for about 6 months.

It was difficult to find a job being a 19 year old with addictions, so I walked up to a construction site and talked to one of the concrete guys.
He walked me onto site and I talked to the Forman, he gladly gave me a job, all the PPE and told me to come back tomorrow at 7 am.

So I did,

I could go on about my journey in construction, but I’ll keep it brief.

They trained me as a carpenter, got my apprenticeship, then challenged the red seal, and got certified.

Then they gave me a shot at working with cranes. Started as a rigger, they trained me and got me my advanced rigging ticket. Right now, they let me get my apprenticeship for crane operating.

Now I’m 23, one red seal, a ticket and an apprenticeship. And been dead sober for almost 5 years, I think.

But even now, I still struggle. Every fiber of my being wants to fall back and drink, maybe hit a bump.
But at the same time, I have a great job, make good money. And we’re getting married in 3 weeks.

Not sure what to do. Or if there’s even anything to do.
Do I just keep riding it out? Or is there someone or some program I can talk too?

If you actually read this whole thing. I’m sorry for rambling on and on, this probably makes very little sense lol, but thank you for listening.

If there’s any advice, or you know of a program that might help? I’m located in the lower mainland of British Columbia.

11 Likes

First off I just want to say thank you so much for sharing your story here. Seriously so brave and also I feel like the fact that you are sharing means you dont actually want to use. That part of you is HANGING ON…HANG ON!

I am not sure if I have any advice for you, but I will say this. For me, theres a reason I dribk. It helps me in certain ways deal with all the shit I do not know how to deal with inside, some of it from when I was young. And its ANNOYING to admit, some of that is to do with my parents. Annoying bc it feels like when you grow up like you just eant to be over it, grown beyond it and mature.

For me and I think for a lot of people, part of what happebs when we go through life stages and changes (and you are about to get married, right?) Is that it triggers old wounds in us we havent healed, and then this resucing part (your addiction) is coming in like I CAN HELP WITH THAT. I used to think of my addiction part of me as just a disease and bad, and it needs to be locked away (and I dont think theres anything even wrong with that thinking or that you cant heal while thinking that so Im not here trying to change that if thats how you thibk of that part of you!). But im doing some work and understanding when that part of me started coming about…you mentioned issues with your parents, you werent too specific but it sounds like big wounds just from the little you said. Those would be the wounds your life movinf forward is touching, I believe and maybe others wounds even in yourself maybe about your past or self beliefs (of course I do not know you so I dont know).

I know for me this, I had issues with my parents growing up and I got sober when I was 20. Went to AA, did a lot of work there and on myself - even around my parents and I was like you know what the work I have done leads me to believe they are just human and have their own issues. How freeing and wonderful. And then I was getting married at 27, something I never thought i would do (I just had never imagined it, not sure why nothing against it but I was raised by a single mom) and I have married the most amazing man in the world and can I tell you I had cold feet (which i did not even understand wtf that was until it happened to me) and was having a straight internal panic about getting married. I wont go in to it, but it had to do with things from my own parents, my childhood that I hadnt healed becayse I hadnt been in this stage in my life yet. Its not that I hadnt done the work back when I was 20, but I wasnt about to embark on this journey yet so I wasnt HERE in my healing journey yet. At the time, I didnt really recognize it like this and then about a year later my daughter was born and all that pain of being a child, all the fears it brought up for me flooded over me. I was TERRIFIED of being a bad parent, and i thought i had done the work on my past so why is it all coming up to bite me now?? I was so ready to be a mom! So happy! I had a beautiful home, partner, liked what I was doing…wtf was happening? I just had some work to do on myself.

Finding the right help can be a challenge, in that sometimes we go to one spot to give it a shot and it doesnt work out and then we think…well thats it I tried it, and it didnt work so im on my own. One thetapist may not be a great fit, or have the right technique. AA may not feel quite right at one meeting, but it may click at another. I have no answer as to what could help you, but it sounds like you have stuff back there and maybe having this great life and now this big step loke marriage coming…its bringing stuff up for you.

IFS (Integrated Family Systems) is a specific type of therapy that goes back to help understand how our past effects how we see the world and interact with it, and helps us to heal. Its practice helps us see the different parts of us (i know may sound a bit strange but I am finding it pretty amazing), and helps people get to understand their core self.

AA is a pretty aamzing program also, and there are other versions for specific substances. What I love abput it (and am just learninf that people do hybrid, so jot like full on AA…i am no expert in that though so how it works for me is to be seen), is that the steps reallt helped me work thrpugh so much and understand myself.

Jordan B Peterson (regardless of what you feel about him politically), has a self authoring program which is somewhat similar to the idea of the 4th step in AA.

I think what is very important for me, that I have not had for a few years is having safe people (like this community) or a therapist or another addict who can support me theough the healing. We can do only so much alone (again somwthing I am just relearning so not trying to preach at all in this message to you!).

I hope that you find what you are looking for. I promise you there is NOTHING for you out there on the pther side of the coin. You have nothing to lose by diving deeper into yourself and healing, and everything to gain (I am sayinf this as much to myself as you).

Wish you another 24 brother and hang in there!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Dyllon we’re glad you’re here! No advice at the moment but have a read around. There’s something for everyone.
And i want to also congratulate you on 5 years sober and your engagement :blush:

1 Like

Big life changes can be scary and bring up alot of thoughts and emotions. Please do not act on impulse or addiction. You have so much going for you. Maybe write a list of what you could lose by going back to addiction?

Welcome @Dyllonlal to an amazing sober community. Check in often and give the advice given here good consideration

This place and the support of AA, the 12 steps, and a sponsor im sober. I know community is key.

Can you try therapy or AA? just a few ideas

1 Like

You have an incredible journey story and i would encourage you to keep it up.
Having a meaningful friend by your side is so cool

1 Like

Well done for turning your life around at such a young age :clap:

1 Like

That’s so so so cool

It’s amazing of you to share all that with us, welcome to the group!

One thing to think about is that good events and bad events cause stress in our brains, and they cause it in pretty much the same way, there’s actually a scale for it, the Holmes-Rahe stress inventory, and despite marriage being a very good event in most people’s lives, it’s pretty high on the scale of stressors.

It sounds like what your brain is trying to do is bring you back to old ways you used to deal with stress, and it sounds like you’ve dealt with your fair share. Obviously the scale isn’t all inclusive, but changes in responsibility at work is also on there.

It might be a great idea to seek out some counseling, if there’s someone in your area who deals with addiction, and i would suggest someone who also makes use of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)

You make good money now, invest a little in yourself and go talk to someone, it doesn’t have to be forever, but they should be able to give you tools to get through the more stressful times in your life (and we all deal with stressors all the time, good and bad) without turning back to drugs or drink

And keep turning up here and posting!

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, really. This is my first time joining a community like this.

You all might be glad to know, I took a lot of your advice. I reached out to a local addiction and crisis councillor.

My first appointment is in 3 days. Guess we’ll see how it goes

3 Likes

Great work!

Bloody well done. You are amazing. Keep on it and head held so high. I’m in awe of your persistence and accomplishments. It’s the real deal what you are doing, treasure it and stay on this track. :heart::heart::heart: