Just tried getting so we again. First week

Hey, I’m new here. Ive recovered multiple times now, but never made it past 3 months. I just started again and physically it just feels harder. My abdomen is uncomfortable and I’m extremely gassy. I also am having some muscle and joint pain. This hasn’t happened to me before. I’m on day 5. I don’t know if anyone has similar experiences?

11 Likes

Hi Roxy,
Congrats on day 5!
Yeah withdrawal sucks. I had mild symptoms (insomnia, night sweats, heart palpitations) for about 3 days. I know it takes around a month for the more acute symptoms to subside, and for long term use up to a year for things to go away/clear up (acne, extra weight, lethargy, etc). I would definitely do things like take tums or mylanta/pepto bismol for your stomach and tylenol or ibuprofen for your joints to help with the short term symptoms. Also being hydrated helps, even though i know its hard when you feel so bloated. I know the feeling, i had rarely ever made it past 1 month let alone 3. Now i just passed 5. Im sorry my advice isnt better then just wait it out, but believe in you. You can do this. Obviously if the symtoms get worse or more serious, go to the doctor or clinic.

6 Likes

Thanks! Today I feel a little better. I’m going to try to eat some more and see how the day goes

5 Likes

Welcome to the community and yeah to 5 days!!! Our bodies are tricky - just because we didn’t feel withdrawal symptoms in the past doesn’t mean we will always be so lucky. I would try to eat softer gentler foods to help with the tummy issues (i personally had to give up spicy foods for the most part but I know it’s only short term). I believe your body starts to heal immediately but can take like 1 month to 1 year to feeling good (sleeping, eating, energy levels, healthier weight…etc).
We are hear to support you - you’ve joined an amazing community. Stick around and read through the threads - lots of great advice and loving support.
Wishing you the best on your journey and hope to see you around.

2 Likes

Welcome. I don’t remember those physical symptoms, but I remember the 3 or 4 month wall. And certainly each recovery felt harder. Hope you have (had?) a good day today.

2 Likes

During one of my multiple withdrawal episodes I had bad joint pain that persisted. I finally went to the doctor and they suggested it was likely due to being malnourished, lack of vitamins, dehydration, etc. It did get better over time but I temporarily used naproxen (Aleve) which helped. I have also had awful bloating and gas in withdrawals. Bottom line is if symptoms persist and are distressing it’s best to see a medical professional and be honest. I hope you feel better soon.

3 Likes

Thanks guys :slightly_smiling_face: today was definitely a little bit better with the tummy issues. I don’t really feel sore anymore. Im Pushing fluids and I bought some multivitamins.

4 Likes

Give it time. And you will start to get your appetite back :wink:

1 Like

Thats awesome- hows it going for you?

1 Like

It’s going pretty well. I don’t ever want to drink the way I used to. I just remember how gross and lethargic I felt and bloated… Paid admitting that I slipped up a little bit today you know those little tiny things those little shots of vodka you can find? I did have one of those. My boyfriend he drinks all the time we live together and sometimes he just likes to fight when he drinks too much and I think that’s unhealthy for me

1 Like

Hold on to this feeling!!! It’s good that you are admitting your slip up but do know that it’s a slippery slope – especially if you are living with someone who drinks all the time and also with whom you are fighting with all the time – total triggering events my friend!!! You deserve a healthy sober life. Do what you can to protect your sobriety.
sending you strength :muscle: