Ken Burns - Hiding in Plain Sight

My mom, who is not an alcoholic and can’t relate with me, which I’m truly grateful for. I followed in my dads footsteps, apparently. Although my mom’s father was also an alcoholic, according to her. Everyone on my dads side was alcoholics and gone. I consider it hereditary, in the sense it’s a learned behavior.

At any rate, my mom kept telling me how disturbing this documentary was. How I should probably watch it. So, I did. I was completely bored and not phased. The ending was encouraging, as many surpassed addiction and went on to help others, that’s when the tears flowed for me, happy ones anyway. Otherwise it was basically everything I deal with daily and really wish I’d unsee it.

But, the fact that my mother doesn’t even see me and I’m almost 49 and I’m in plain sight, was so profoundly disturbing. I’ve expressed that I think I have a mental illness, but she says she’s not a doctor. She also knows I can’t afford to seek proper help. I’m not mad at her, but I’m more aware how she can’t relate with me, and that’s difficult. I’m very vocal about my alcoholism, I don’t try and hide it from her. Only a few friends.

Just had to unload all that!

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with the movie. I’m wondering if going to meetings somewhere would help you. Online or in person. There would be people with similar histories and problems as you. Good luck with it all

1 Like

I’m not ignoring the fact that there’s a problem with your mother. But you have to go forward for your own life. If you are in the United States you might look into mental health resources in your area. I would think in the last month that they are trying to ramp services up to be available to people who want mental health care. Google MHMR and see who they refer you to, call them and talk to them. I think they have a new name now but without knowing your location I couldn’t find it on my end. Good luck to you.