Las Vegas trip

HI everyone.

So one of my Christmas gifts was a surprise trip to Vegas to see one of my favorite fighters ever (Rousey). We’re only going for a few days and are leaving this morning.

We go mutiple times a year for UFC events (McGregor is my #1) and I have always snuck off to drink more even when me and my hubby were already drinking. Or if there was a “break” because you know, he’s not an alcoholic like I am.

My biggest fear is relapse. How the hell am I going to be sober in a place that represents drinking at all times, “what happens in Vegas…” you get the point.

I’ve looked up meetings, but the closest one doesn’t have times that work and ones that have better times are too far away (I’d have to take a taxi).

Does anyone have tips/advice for staying sober during vacation? I will be on here often these next few days. You have been warned. Haha

No tips on meditating for the love of all that is holy.

2 Likes

I dunno if I am actually correct but I feel when going to a place where there is plenty of booze it should not change anything. The honest truth is do you want to drink or not. If not don’t drink it is actually not that difficult after taking this big step. people will try push booze onto you the whole time. I just say I am on medication this stops that don’t try to explain

2 Likes

Thanks @Rod I needed to hear that. I don’t want to drink, but I don’t want to have a horrible time either. I guess this is just another step in learning how to have fun sober. The world doesn’t stop just because of my disease.

1 Like

That is an awesome suggestion. I kind of took that approach first time going to the movies sober. Instead of drinking wine or beer I enjoyed popcorn, soda and candy (the kids pack). And I loved it! I couldn’t remember the last time I ate popcorn in a movie theatre. Lol, too busy getting wasted to think about food.

2 Likes

I definitely wouldn’t pass up a trip like this one either. I lived in Phoenix Metro for 12 years so we’d hit up Vegas or Laughlin 3 or 4 times a year. For me it never gets old although I’ve never been sober there, not even close.

Try taking it as the ultimate challenge to your commitment to sobriety, I would. I know even though I currently have no desire to drink, if I could make it through a Vegas trip without relapse and still have a great time then nothing could stop me!!

2 Likes

I live in Vegas :roll_eyes:. It’s kind of a pain. There is a really cool sobriety center called the Serenity club in Chinatown. It’s about ten minutes from the strip, a really cheap uber ride.
There is a ton to do here that doesn’t involve booze. I would just get in the mind set that you need to be in your room kind of early, because nothing booze free goes on after 9pm. The hotels all have spas, most offer yoga and other classes. If you sign up for an early one it’ll be a good excuse to go to bed.
Or stay up and watch the tourists make fools of themselves. There’s nothing like watching someone get pushed out of a nightclub in a wheelchair to make sobriety seem like a good idea.
Safe travels! Enjoy the city!

4 Likes

Lol true @justMe2. Even drunk I would make fun of others who were farther down the rabbit hole than I was and we’re losing their shit. Good reminder why I’m doing this.

2 Likes

Awesome ideas guys. Thank you for the giggles too :joy: I am on a beach holiday right now with 2 big boozers. Exactly why I am checking in SO much. @Elisabeth, for me, I need to make sure I have something '‘fun’ to drink - after years of ‘never’ drinking juice or sugary drinks - I am like an excited kid when I treat myself to lemonade. Then I switch to sugar free options for the love of my waistline. But there is no way I could drink plain water in the face of temptation. I am also using ‘the judgy’ strategy - mentally picking on the drinkers. The trip sounds awesome!

1 Like

Hey @Elisabeth I know this great meditation…
LMAO :wink: :smile: :laughing: :sweat_smile: :grinning: just kidding. You can totally go and enjoy your vacation without drinking. Grab yourself a soda and watch those ladies beat the shhh out of eachother.

1 Like

Yes! It’s like I have all these sugar cravings and interest in fun drinks now, that booze had completely eradicated. I’m totally gonna get a virgin something or soda. Good to know I’m not the only one surrounded by it on vacation.

Lmao! I just know me, and so early in my sobriety I’m not ready to try something like meditation yet. I need something real or some of people’s experiences. But totally not digging on it, I’ll get there. Soon I will be preaching it too. :wink:

1 Like

We got here around noon today. I’m not gonna lie, going into the mgm for the first time sober was crazy hard (usually I drink on the plane. I mean, duh). Not a craving, just an intense urge to drink because…habit. Went to a restaurant before weigh-ins and got a non-alcoholic beer. It was good! Even my burps tasted like beer. Lol

Still sober, doing good. :relieved:

4 Likes

We’re here for ya @Elisabeth. Have a great time!

Everyone around me is getting drunk af. Struggling.

Don’t give in buddy. You’ve got 2 full weeks under your belt already!

Stay strong, if you need to get out of the immediate situation to stay sober, then do so.

You can do it!

1 Like

Keep checking in. Keep posting. We are here for you. Stay strong. You got this. Remember YOU. Doesn’t matter what other people are doing to their bodies, nourish and protect yours. Think how awesome you will feel tomorrow. You don’t want to reset!!

C’mon girlfriend. We have your back!!! :kissing_heart:

@Elisabeth Try just looking around and being thankful that you arent like everyone else being drunk, tired, obnoxious, or in a state of durrrr. Be happy you are clear alert and actually going to remember the fight tomorrow. :grinning:

Thanks everyone. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Kind of just threw me off how badly I wanted to drink. Hadn’t experienced the forceful feel-sorry-for-myself pull to alcohol as strongly as tonight.

I’m so glad I stayed sober. I told my husband I wanted to drink multiple times. Read the big book app in desperation and visited the forum.

Girl next to me was absolutely bawling. Last time Rousey lost I was drunk and crying on the toilet. Pretty sad state. Sober, I was able to comfort this poor girl before we left. I’m doing ok!

3 Likes

@Elisabeth Bam! Another challenge ticked :heart:️:+1: