Last dance with Mary Jane

One year, seven months and ten days, not a drop of alcohol. One year, three months and four days, no nicotine. Problem is, for one year and five months, I’ve been self medicating with cannabis. I refused to believe it was a problem for a while, and I had every intention of using it as a tool to help stay off alcohol, but that’s not the right way. I experienced a major traumatic event 6 months ago today, and I am certain I would have gone back to alcohol if I hadn’t had cannabis to lean on so heavily. Not saying it’s right, but it’s done. Now the trauma has mostly subsided, and I’m starting to pick up the pieces of my life that have been neglected during this process, and I’m realizing it’s time to say goodbye to cannabis. I am still going through the same motions I started while in the depths of ptsd depression, but I’m past the worst of it and need to really get better, but it’s hard to retrain muscle memory. Any tips for putting the weed down and Not picking the bottle back up would be greatly appreciated.

9 Likes

Personally after many staggered and failed attempts I had to quit alcohol, weed and tobacco all on the same day. This is bc experience taught me I was an addict of substance abuse no matter what that substance was. So I had to treat it as a whole, not one thing was better or worse than the next and as such had to start recovering from myself, my attitude and approach to life had to change.
So scrap that thought that you might pick up a drink again to replace weed bc your not fighting either your simply choosing sobriety.
Well done and I wish you well on your journey :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Just commit to sobriety when you wake up for the day… no matter what I’m staying sober today. Horrible things will happen in life, they happen to everyone… learning how to cope with them sober is very empowering. It’s actually much easier dealing with difficult things sober in my experience. I’m not trying to dismiss your hardships so please don’t take it that way. Keep living the ODAAT life and life will get easier. Best wishes

2 Likes

Do you want to productive and have good things in life or would you rather just be high all the time?

1 Like

If only life was so black and white.

It is.

You’re either in prison, or you’re not. There is no gray area about being imprisoned.

If addiction (of any type) is in the driver’s seat, you’re in prison.

The way to get and stay free is a long and hard road. It is simple, but it is hard; it isn’t easy work (addiction is easy work, it requires no effort to stay addicted; it requires no effort to stay imprisoned). The work is 24 hours at a time though. You don’t have to think about the grand design. Just the practical, concrete actions you will do today.

1 Like

Totally agree…life offers alot of grey areas in many situations but not in addiction…you either use the DOC or you dont

1 Like