Last drink was August 5, 2023. Still dealing with anxiety

I’ve never felt this before. My last drink after relapse was August 5, 2023. I was a beer drinker. Earthquake 24oz cans that are 10% alcohol. I take anxiety med but I know everyone is different. What are some feelings others had on day 3 to 5? It’s like my chest gets tight, sweating, some shakes and then I’m thinking a heart attack is coming. Is that normal for some?

1 Like

Regarding alcohol withdrawals:

People may experience:

• Whole body: restlessness, shakiness, sweating, or loss of appetite

• Gastrointestinal: nausea or vomiting

• Behavioral: agitation or irritability

• Mood: anxiety or nervousness

• Also common: fast heart rate, tremor, disorientation, headache, insomnia, or seizures

Alcohol withdrawals are very common but the range and intensity varys greatly among individuals.

Withdrawals start as soon as a few hours after your last drink and can last several weeks, with the worst being over in 7 to 10 days.

Stay hydrated, get plenty of rest and ride it out. Once you’re past the worst, just know you will never have to go through it again, as long as you stay sober.

Wish you well.

2 Likes

Hello! Yes, unfortunately those are with drawls symptoms. I remember my first week when I quit I had horrible anxiety, heart palpitations that came in waves that seemed to last forever, night sweats, trouble sleeping, vision issues… but after a week or two those started to dissipate. It sucks now but you will start feeling so much better in the long run!

Just stick with it, stay hydrated (I always say pedialyte! That helped me the most for some reason), exercise helped a lot with anxiety (I was and still am out of shape but it’s gotten easier, walking is a great outlet and it’s simple too), focus on things you like to do, whether it be a show to watch, a hobby, reading, etc.

Best of luck!! You’ve got this!!

Hi,
I see this is most common withdrawal symptoms for alcohol. The anxiety comes as a big wave. I felt that the first week very intensely. I was only able to go to work (surprisingly) then it was straight home to my bed. I would watch a TV show that would remind me of good times. I also did a lot of walking and meditating. I would pick a place that was very green and sunny. Something about being in nature and just a naturally lighted place made me feel a lot better. After week 2 it gets a lot better. Hang in there.

I would suggest not looking up the withdrawal symptoms too much as it makes you get in your head and intensifies the anxiety. Just try to relax and I would notify loved ones of the situation as well should any medical emergencies arise.

1 Like

What you are experiencing is very normal. Please consult a medical professional if needed.

I truly believed I was going to die and many times I broke and had a drink but one day I decided I didn’t want to ever feel like this again and the only way to do that was don’t pick up a drink. It definitely got easier.

1 Like