Late hello

Hi all haven’t really said anything on here yet, but I am loving the group it’s helped me alot with me stopping alcohol, just reading everyones posts inspires you… I’m 30 from the UK btw, I used to drink every other day and then drink until I can’t no more on a weekend plus other substances, I’ve been drinking straight for 15yrs and have only ever stopped for a week or so in that time, I’ve now done 31 days which I’m proud of, I feel better look better and have money saved, I don’t have any intention to go back to the way I was. just taking one day at a time really. :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

Hello Mat88 that is great you haven’t touched your doc for 31days I hope you the best. The longest I have gone without drinking during the past30 years is around 5 days. I hope that this site can help me break through and say bye bye to booze for good. I feel like it is now or never. Nice to hear your post and I wish you the best!

4 Likes

Thanks petr yes it’s now or never i feel too, just willpower so far for me, my cravings do get hard like it does for everyone I imagine, but I’m winning this one this time, all the best to you too hope everything works out for you

2 Likes

And isn’t that a fine way to add them up? Today is the only day we ever need to stay sober to enjoy a better tomorrow.

Welcome, @Mat88 (and @Petr)! So glad you joined. This community has done me wonders as well and it’s always exciting to gain the experience, strength and hope of another. :v:

Stick around, maybe join our Daily Check In, and as @Yoda-Stevie puts it, keep getting better at getting better.

4 Likes

Thanks Eke :+1:

1 Like

Thanks AyBee

Hi! And welcome to the forum! There’s so much advice and kind words on here from people all around the world to keep you inspired to stay sober. Where abouts in the UK are you?

1 Like

Hi Tia Thanks for that and I’m from Manchester wbu?

I’m from Derby! Nice to see someone from the UK as there aren’t many on the forum. I think most are from America.

1 Like

Ye I noticed that, Derby only about 60 miles away ha ha. I’ve never been, how many days have you done btw and how are you finding it ?

@Eke

“Today is the only day we ever need to stay sober to enjoy a better tomorrow.”

Love this!:blush:

1 Like

I’m on day 26. It hasn’t been too bad. I have my good days and tempted days! I think the hardest part is that everyone I know drinks. And if had a few nights out planned before I decided to stop which were interesting to say the least! Have you ever been the only one sober in a club? It’s not the best! Lol! I’ll be trying to avoid that experience for a while.

Last time I was in Manc was for Pride. Was an amazing weekend! Have you always lived there? I’m originally from Leicester but been in derby about 15 years now.

Hi I’m from Northern Ireland close enough. Yes majority are USA on here but still have same problems. Nice to connect much closer to home though . Good luck to you both. Day 24 for me :blush:

1 Like

You’ve almost done a month be proud one day at a time…
I do find it hard sometimes but cravings come and go it’s just getting through that phase… Although Christmas will be tough.
I’ve lived in and around greater Manchester all my life :slightly_smiling_face:.

Hi adey wouldn’t mind going to Ireland one day and well done on your 24 days :+1:

1 Like

Hi Mat it’s lovely here except when it rains ! (Which is often lets face it) congrats on your 31! Coming on here will definitely help you sustain your sobriety. This and a real desire to never go there again. I’m just taking one day at a time. Good luck today. Happy sober Wednesday from Northern Ireland :blush:

1 Like

I’m not looking forward to Christmas in that respect also! I know everyone around me will be saying “it’s Christmas…you have to have a drink!”. They are now when I tell people I’m not drinking! It’s almost like people feel sorry for you that you’re not drinking alcohol…which I find bizarre. Have you read any books or gone to any meetings?

Nice one, Mat! Keep adding this days

1 Like

Exactly I get the same treatment, I haven’t read or gone to a meeting as of yet… but what’s worked so far is YouTube videos other people’s stories etc like this forum.

1 Like

Thanks Sarah J will do :v:

1 Like