Laying in bed last night and this question occurred.. Was I born a alcoholic or did I make myself one?

Just to sit right on the middle of the fence - I’d say it’s a combination of the two.

There’s no doubt from the scientific evidence that there are differences in human bodies from individual to individual… Hence why one person may have an allergy to nuts (for example) but I could chow down on peanuts and be fine! So it’s not a massive jump to consider that alcohol works differently on the brain’s reward centres for some people than it does for others, making it a compulsion to drink.

Saying that, alcohol is also an addictive drug, and so in that sense, by exposing yourself to the drug by repeated consumption there is definitely a raised risk --because pathways in the brain are literally altered by taking the drug, so in that sense we are making ourselves addicted by the act of drinking.

So yeah, combination.

Either way tho, it only goes in one direction. Down to crap.

4 Likes

But I will say thank you to all of the amazing people that gave honest intelligent answers. That was exactly what I was looking for in the answers we won’t ever truly know but we all do honest to god have the same problem and found a better way thank you :smirk:

2 Likes

I honestly think we can read all we want do all the right research but at the end of everyday we have to just understand what’s not really understood, be accountable, do a honest daily inventory and pray for another day sober/clean

2 Likes

My mom would tell me she wish she didnt drink while pregnant with me, maybe i wouldnt been the way i am but i dont blame her for the way i am. Accepting the way things are is a big part for me in recovering. Alcohol can cause alcoholism just like carcinogens can cause cancer. Genetics and environments just can cause some people to be more susceptible to certain diseases like hereditary health problems, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, mental illness, cant be completely avoided but manageable with more knowledge and research.

1 Like

I think it’s a mix. Like there is a sleeping gene or somethin in us and once it’s activated then it’s all down hill from there. I’m not a doctor nor have I done any research; however, logic is where I live and that makes the most sense to me. Not sure tbh.

Following earlier ‘behind the scenes’ conversations with members and moderators, just posting this reminder from the rules…

2 Likes

Who are you talking to?!

Well I think your amazing and I’m glad I have you to talk to and know you’ll always give a honest caring answer

Well one thing is if we never started drinking/using we never would have had a problem so it comes back to we kinda chose to have a problem which sucks

But some people it can develop later in life even though they never started early can have fatal effects for them being up in age and more prone to health problems later on

1 Like

Very true I mean I started drinking at a ridiculous age … 7 and my liver and kidneys have to a hit because of it so yeah it a older age I’m sure it would do harm

I started looking into genetic and inherited diseases, just so much information mind blowing, but catching the problem early no matter what it is, is key to dealing with it and treating syptoms.

2 Likes

I figured the same thing some people i know have died already from cirrhosis younger than me and i drank like a fish

1 Like

My uncle is dying a slow death from sclerosis of the liver now :disappointed:

Genes chromosomes mutations im glad i stuck around in health class enough to be interested in the dynamic human body, it truely is an amazing piece of work. An i still think a smart phone is smarter but the human brain is so much more fascinating

1 Like

Lmao :rofl: right … and it is truly a outstanding thing

I do not come from a family of drinkers. My parents rarely drank when I was a kid and both sets of grandparents were teetotalers. Out of the 4 of us siblings My oldest sibling never drank, next one drinks normal and youngest had a weed problem for a long long time. I started drinking in middle school and kept going for 40+ years, various drugs as well. Early on it was just the party thing…the 70s…later it was a habit gone way way bad.

I don’t believe it is a disease. I don’t believe I was born an alcoholic, nor do I identify as one. I liked to get wasted. I liked turning off my brain. I liked abusing substances and I lived a long time thinking life was an endless party …long long after the fun was over. I couldn’t resist chasing the high for long. Then the long term effects of drinking and drugging for decades showed their ugly face and I finally got sober. Not that it was easy or pleasant or sobriety came easy…it was a hellish slog that took 10 years and near suicide daily.

It is an interesting question for sure and every person is a unique human with a unique body chemistry and unique life experiences. I think some of us are predisposed genetically to substance abuse and if we pick up that substance we set the ball rolling. I also believe we all heal differently…tho there is a lot in common as well.

Great topic!!

8 Likes

Sorry for the pain he must be facing. Lost another cousin a few weeks ago from cirrhosis and kidney failure he was in hospice care for only 3days not even 45. Its amazing to be alive seeing how torn up some people get, im thankful i stepped back from the ledge while i still have time to do damage control

Im sure Im born to be more likely to be an alcholic then others. My grandfather on mom side was alcholic and my father was one. I was raised in a home with lots of alcohol and even made alcohol in my home. Also a lot of mental disorders runs in the family. I think mental health and alcoholproblems can walk hand in hand.

I never had problems with drinking before I think around 24 yo. Before this I could drink once a while, a glass or two, have a party and even throw out left overs of wine bottles.

2 Likes

What couldve killed me and didnt is nothing short of a miracle in itself. Not just what i did to myself with the drugs but everything that life threw at me.lol :pray:

1 Like