Laying in bed last night and this question occurred.. Was I born a alcoholic or did I make myself one?

So as I laid in bed last night this question hit me like a ton of bricks. Are we as addicts alcoholics etc genetically disposed from birth to have these diseases OR do our choices in life lead to us ending up with it. Now YES I know this is a touchy subject BUT awareness is everything, correct??? Let’s get into it I want opinions I want to know the history of this disease and I want my fellow TS community’s opinions on the subject

1 Like

I can only speak for myself on this one…I didn’t start drinking until I was probably 18. For me, alcoholism was a coping mechanism that I developed over time to deal with my anxiety.

I’m sure I have certain personality traits that led me to it, but I’d never experienced any other truly addictive behavior until I started drinking. I should add that my family has no history of alcoholism at all. I’m a trend setter :upside_down_face:

12 Likes

See I was the exact opposite. I started drinking at a extremely early age after trauma in my life occurred and both of my parents were indeed alcoholics. But it is a disease… isn’t it??

2 Likes

My grandfather was an alcoholic so my parents never drank. My mom hated it. I found out over the years her and her sisters had a rough childhood because of that. I also found out we (me and my grandfather) liked the same whiskey. Maybe just a coincidence. I started drinking socially at 16ish and it just snowballed from there.

5 Likes

Either way it doesn’t matter too much to me. I live in the here and now or at least I try to. I can do something about it now. I can influence my future now. Yesterday is gone.
BTW, to give you an answer to your question I think it’s a combination. We have a certain disposition which made us more susceptible to becoming addicted. I compare it to my diagnosis of personality disorder… I had some crummy experiences as a kid which brought this out in me. Yet people with the same or much worse experiencs didn’t develop a personality disorder. IMO it’s a combination of genetics and what we experience and are influenced by in life. And, again, I can’t change the past but I can influence how I live today.

20 Likes

I wondered this also. A while ago now @Ravikamor posted a video that I found really helpful in understanding why I became addicted to alcohol. I have put the link in here, it’s defo worth a watch. I’m looking forward to seeing the responses you get

:pray:t2::two_hearts:

6 Likes

I come from a long line of alcoholics. And I knew it when I started drinking. It quickly became a coping mechanism…so for me a little of both.

2 Likes

I also think it’s a natural question we ask ourselves

1 Like

This is a great thing to ponder, but as @Mno said, it doesn’t really matter as the outcome is the same. Annie Grace-The Naked Mind is all about the science of alcohol as an addictive substance, then there is the disease model. I think both happen depending on the individual. For me, I think I drank my way to alcoholism. I know others in my AA group that based on their experiences, it’s definitely a disease for them. Regardless, alcohol has no place in my life, I am worthy of more in life. And I cherish sobriety and the sober community. Thanks for bringing this up @Hollz.

6 Likes

I don’t know. Noone else in my family has any issues really. But I did grow up seeing people at parties having fun drinking, you see it all over tv, fb, life is literally based on alcohol everywhere you look so alot of ppl get tricked into thinking it’s the only way to a good time…before I became addicted of course I had a good time, had good memories, it helped me cope with my ADHD a little and unfortunately for me just progressed and got worse.

8 Likes

Both my parents were/are heavy drinkers, and would definitely check off a lot of things on the alcohol abuse scale, even though they are not as bad as I was. I think there is a perfect storm of genetics, environment, events, that make one an alcoholic. Perhaps if I had had a more self-esteem inducing upbringing, I could have overcome my genetics. Maybe if my genetics were a bit different, I would handle upbringing in a different way. I know a couple of events really changed my drinking (e.g. study abroad in a tiny one room apartment kick-started my drinking alone), maybe if they hadn’t happened I wouldn’t have got into the state I did. But the perfect storm occurred, and here I am. At least now, I have learned how to board up my windows and head down to the basement. Not sure if that metaphor works, that sounds like I am hiding away rather than living a sober life. I learnt how to run into the storm and get wet?

5 Likes

Our environment influences us but I honestly don’t think we are born addicted. Unless our mom’s took drugs and drank while pregnant with us that’s different. It’s our choices through the years. It’s a coping mechanism and if we become dependant on it, well that is our doing. I also agree that some of us go through trauma and shitty childhoods but blaming others for our addiction gives that power of quitting to someone else. We have that power within us. The brain is elastic. If we caused it to get into this addicted state well we can change the coping mechanisms and get out of this state. The power is within us. But yes some people experience trauma that is out of their control and it sucks, but picking up that drink is our choice.

3 Likes

To throw a little curiosity to this, I didn’t drink heavily until I got gastric bypass surgery. It was almost overnight that I turned to alcohol. 20% become alcoholics ONLY after surgery. It’s crazy.

2 Likes

@Mno I’m sorry if I sounding like I Was looking for another way or easier way. And I don’t necessarily live in the now And the future because my steps make me look and work in my past js I’m not trying to be a ass and I definitely don’t no anything but it doesn’t really Make any sense not to be rude. And I’m sure your correct . We can’t only live in today if we are going to do a honest job at any of our step work though right?? :smirk::disappointed:

3 Likes

I’m really amazed at the responses on here it seems like we all may be different but have something in common we all lost control and our lives became manageable

7 Likes

I definitely will be checking it out thanks so much @Blondie1x :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I think its kinda become culture to cope or have a good time when associated with drugs and alcohol. I dont believe addiction is a disease. Its a mental illness and poor coping with life.

1 Like

Correct! My life became completely unmanageable and thankfully I took some steps to stop the madness and regain control.

2 Likes

Not at all Holly. Sorry if I made you think that. It’s a legitimate question. I just tried to give you an honest answer. I got the utmost repsect for you and your journey lady. Hugs.

3 Likes

My guess is that it is a complex combination of genetic factors, environment, and development. Similar to what others have mentioned, I didn’t touch alcohol until I was around 19, and then it was mostly social and relatively “normal” from a cultural perspective. It wasn’t until later that I really leaned into it for self-medicating anxiety, stress, and depression. The more I relied on it, the deeper the struggle became. However, there is certainly alcoholism on my maternal line, so I am convinced that a biological predisposition is there.

No matter the cause, the important thing is how we are responding to it with sobriety, which is excellent. I think this is an excellent question to ponder! Thank you for bringing it up for discussion!

3 Likes