Learning a Language

Good morning from the UK everyone!

Checking in on Day 11 here.

Over the last few days I have noticed that having a language learning app on my phone has provided welcome distraction from thinking about alcohol. I actually have come to have great fun trying to start learning another language. As it is still Jan I think it will be a really useful, productive goal to try and achieve a basic to elementary level before the end of 2020.

Anyone else have experience of learning a language in recovery? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not quite but I was waiting for my son to help me decorate in the house last week and I shouted up to him while he was laid in his pit " I could learn a new language by the time you get your arse out of bed and help me" Incidentally I’m still waiting for him. But it did get me thinking that’s learning a new language is a great “tool” to have in your sobriety box. What are you thinking of learning? Well done on 11 days! Great going.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m thinking about it. . .worried I’ll give up like I have done previously though! I struggle to keep motivated! I think it’s a great idea and I’m sure you will enjoy it.

1 Like

I love duolingo. Its taught me more spanish then I learned in school.

1 Like

Lol I daresay you might be still waiting for a bit longer by the sounds of it :laughing:

I have started with Spanish. I have had holidays in Spain and thought best to start with something familiar.

I agree, I think it will be useful even at a basic level. It is definitely a nice talking point when people ask about hobbies.

Yeah, it seems a fun little app for starting out. It has a nice user interface and is quite welcoming. I like the day counter/streak as well. It encourages me to do a little bit each day. Hopefully slowly but surely I will pick up a bit.

1 Like

I’ve had this problem in the past as well. I had made a previous thread about problems with concentration and attention. I have really noticed it when I try to read. I can’t hold my attention more than 2 sides of A4 sometimes.

Hoping this is a slightly more fun way of helping improve that again, alongside no alcohol clearly! :slight_smile:

Language learning is one of the many things I love doing in spare time. They’re all fascinating.

I’ve been thinking about this lately, with all the free time I have now. My mother speaks Spanish. She actually teaches English to Spanish speaking people in our community. I could’ve learned it already when I was in high school but of course when I took 3 years of it when I was a teenager I didn’t want the help from my mom. Now that I’m an adult, and getting along with my parents, I think itd be something that would bring us closer. Great idea!

2 Likes