Legalization of weed in Canada today

I feel like none of it should be illegal, it doesn’t stop people from using and creates a problem for people who need help.

3 Likes

I tried weed twice, and for the first time, a few months ago. First time? whatever. Second time? Couldn’t walk. Called my parents semi conscious for a ride from a block away and my buddy was making sure that I was still breathing okay. roughly the same amount each time.

I don’t want weed to be legal recreationally, but I sure as hell want it to be regulated. I don’t even care about taxes. It’s a common popular activity that can end very badly, and I want people seeking help for addiction, or safe product, instead of dealing with, let’s face it, criminals.

But maybe laced weed isn’t such a big deal in other places? I’m sandwiched between big time fentanyl imports and diverted carfentanil in opposite directions.

2 Likes

I adore you more by the hour!:vampire:t2:‍♀️

Though legalization and decriminalization are pretty different. Do you think that plays a factor?

The only good I see from it is the decrease in ceiminalization for responsible users. I’ve never been a smoker, but I agree, just like alcohol, it can become a problem.

1 Like

What will more likely happen is an explosion of grow operations, legal and illegal.

20 years from now, it will likely be normalized. The “de-stigmatizon” will lead to increased usage, because there are those who only decline due to the “malem prohibitum” nature of weed, and don’t accept the “malem en se” arguments against it. I know, because I’m married to one who would smoke it of it were legalized.

What I can’t understand is how society has spent the last 50 years demonizing tobacco, because it causes cancer, yet weed is now chic.

I have no illusions about weed being eradicated to any extent. And yeah the legal grow ops here (currently for medical use) have exploded years before the announcement of possible legalization.

But understand it’s already de facto legal here. Unless you are an ass or the officer in your face isn’t responding to a more important call (aka always), no one gives a brick.

What legalization will do is damage control. Legalization. More people seeking help for addiction. Taxes sure but I know better than to trust that.

What boggles my mind is how much worse tobacco is for people yet it’s still legal. Far more harmful than cannabis. But still protected by megacorps. Capitalism ftw

1 Like

Not to mention, if you’re legal, you don’t have to hide ops, smuggle, rely on dealers open to crime. Reduces your costs and risk. You can realistically compete with the crime fostering ops trying to do things illigitimately and dangerously.

Honestly there isn’t really an opening for an “explosion” of grow ops. People who want weed have always had it in plenty. People who disagree with illicit cannabis consumption and agree with legal consumption are a pretty insignificant part of the overall market. So yeah some ops might start up. But at least your wife would know she’s getting “just” weed.

I can only speak for the west of my country though. We have always exported by the bucketloads.

I think they are equally bad for people. Both cause lung disease. Both cause esophageal cancers. The difference is one has been studied and litigated much more than the other.

Eh, whether or not I believe it’s bad for society matters little. I just know that it’s wrong for me.

Clean and Sober is how I will live the rest of my life, while I possess the mental capacity to make my own decisions.

1 Like

Tru dat. (Post must be at least 10 characters)

But… equally bad? Really?

To my knowledge, marijuana isn’t packed shit full of carcinogens and toxins over and above what is present in the original product (dealers don’t have the power and means that corps do), whereas tobacco is a totally different story. Where I live, an anti tobacco public message is required to be at least 50% of the front of it, and I think 25% of the back. At any rate, you don’t even get to see it if you’re a minor. It’s hidden behind an opaque cabinet that adults can ask to see.

1 Like

But definitely I wish neither ever existed.

Plenty of toxins. I’m not talking about the THC, which does cause changes in the brain, nor am I talking about nicotine, which jacks the blood pressure. It’s all the other stuff that’s released when burned or eaten.

There’s a good deal of data on this. Do I think it any worse than any other drug, including alcohol? No.

I’m not talking about THC or nicotine, which I have rants about because i have close second hand witness experience that they do so much more damage than that.

But I agree with you in that a drug is a drug. Or an addiction is an addiction.

1 Like

But my rebuttal is that once they’ve established support from the rule of law, tobacco companies seem to have full reign to add what they want. Grab a cigarette pack, examine all ingredients (does it even tell you?) and if it admits ingredients, consider whether that would be allowed in any product sold as food.

I’m 100% with you here bud. Smoking anything is bad news. I was referring to additives in cigarettes that aren’t present in typical marijuana.

1 Like

Totally off topic: the American Lung Association symbol has a resemblance, though significant difference, to the Orthodox Christian cross.

I’ve been using medical marijuana in sublingual form as an alternative to alcohol recently and it’s immensely better. I’m also on two antidepressants. Which is worse?

No missed work, no hangovers, no blackouts. Some subtle relaxation on nights I’m staying in anyway. Helps bring my feelings to the forefront instead of deadening them.

1 Like

If a doctor is deciding that’s what will help you, I have zero issue with that. I think the objection in this thread is to blanket legalization of recreational marijuana.