Life with an alcoholic

I’m struggling right now. My husband won’t quit drinking with me and keeps buying liquor. I’m 3 days and today I drank about 3.5 oz which is less than half of my usual intake.

What do I do? Reset my clock? I’m trying so hard but am isolated here. I live out in the boonies and am up in age. I know my body has been speaking to me about quitting!

4 Likes

I would reset. It was a decision to drink. If you do that here and there then your time gets blurry, :wink:

4 Likes

Hey SJF.
Welcome to TS.
My wife drinks and I’m sober. She’s been drinking the whole time I’m sober. Almost 3 years now. I’d reset if it were me.
I been attending AlAnon meetings and I’m very active on this forum. It all helps to keep me sober and sane while my wife continues to drink.
:pray:t2::heart:

4 Likes

My husband drank for the first 2 years of my sobriety so I know how difficult it is to stay sober. What helped me was going to AA meetings and being a good example. Also, that alcohol he brought home was not mine to touch.

As far as resetting, I would reset if I intentionally took even one sip of alcohol but then again my intention is to remain completely sober. If I were to allow one little slip, that would open the door for another, leading right back down the rabbit hole.

6 Likes

You can always connect to sober people via zoom. That’s what I’d recommend. Focus on your sobriety.

2 Likes

That is hard. I’m glad you are reducing, that may be a step to quitting. Several members have a partner who drinks, it is hard, but not impossible, to focus on one’s own sobriety. Getting online support might help.

2 Likes

Well clock has been reset. Trying hard. Days are fine, it’s the evening that I struggle the most. I’ll keep trying.

2 Likes

I found that having a plan for the evenings helped in the beginning. Even if the plan was to take a cup of tea and a book to bed right after dinner and sleep early. Or go out for a walk. Something to keep me busy and away from the reflex I had to reach for a glass of wine (or ten).

1 Like

Also, using HALT to think of why I wanted a drink helped. Am I hungry, angry, lonely or tired? Because then the response is to eat something nutritious/yummy, let out the angry energy in a healthy way (exercise helps me), call family or friends (or find activities to change my routine and have me around people more) or just go to bed…

I realize now that feeling lonely made things escalate for me quite often. Reading and writing here helps a lot. But I also had to make life changes to make sure I was not alone so often, and was doing something meaningful to others.

Keep at it. I’m not young anymore and a big reason why I stopped was because my body was telling me in no uncertain terms that I simply had to stop drinking. Or it would stop me.

1 Like

Right, me too! Keep me in your prayers! I will keep quitting until it sticks for good!

1 Like