Life with family

At my parents house after outpatient therapy 30 days sober. Man I can’t do this. We live out of state bringing my kids and myself up while my husband out of town for some help. I bought alcohol had a sip threw it away bc I felt so paranoid not how I want to do this lying, sneaking etc. It takes so much strength to stay sober! I’m realizing what I missed by drinking though. Im 40 years oldy family still dismisses me when I try to talk. Now I’m just afraid I know this is a journey people relapse but I’m still afraid of the judging letting people close to me know I’m an alcoholic. Does anyone else struggle with this?

1 Like

I have told very few people I’m alcoholic or in recovery outside my AA and here, 6 people know.

For the rest, including most of my family they don’t know. They can see changes in me and if the sober subject comes up, I simply tell them I decided to stop. You find your way of handling the conversation after a few attempts.

Sorry you took a sip but well done for throwing the alcohol away. I used to have an insane habit of taking a swig of a bottle, knowing I didn’t want it, then I’d pour it down the toilet and a few hours later I’d be out buying more. I wasted so much money that way.

Oh wow, you are not alone! I used to do that as well…way too often.

1 Like

It was totally insane

1 Like

The only person I talk to about being an alcoholic is my mom, and sometimes I say something to my husband about my epiphanies.
Having a therapist, and getting out of my comfort zone to learn who I want to be has been very important. Make time for you, because you need it.

1 Like

Thx for sharing. I feel like I’m doing something wrong not telling them but they just want everything perfect if it’s slightest uncomfortable they sweep things under the rug. For me it’s best have the support of my husband and my psychiatrist and psychologist. I figured if they suspect it already they may just don’t want to talk about it more there issue than mine anyways. Thankfully I live 4 hours away I need it for my sanity :slight_smile: