Lip Twitching?

Has anyone experienced this? I will periodically get eye twitches (it happened yesterday even) but never my lip. It is the lower lip if it makes any difference.

Anyways, I googled to see what could be causing it (I wondered if I was reacting to a cream or something) and I found this…

Addictive drugs and alcohol can cause significant amounts of nerve damage and impact brain functioning. If you’ve consumed high quantities of alcohol or drugs for a long period of time and you experience facial muscle spasms such as lip twitching, you could have alcoholic neuropathy.

Treatments include limiting alcohol consumption, taking vitamin supplements, and taking prescription anticonvulsants.

Could this be happening because of booze? I’m really only recently off alcohol. Or is this saying that I would get the twitching while ON alcohol.

1 Like

It’s probably nothing to be honest. My lower eyelid twitches when I’m under a lot of stress, and my lip twitches randomly, sober and when I wasn’t sober. If it truly does bother you, a doctor can check it out. In my experience from internet searches, the results you find are usually more severe than what’s actually going on. Take it all with a grain of salt.

I get twitches all the time. An eyelid, thigh, calf, tricep. Some neurons misfired. Usually goes away after a bit. Could be an electrolyte imbalance, or lack of sleep, or micro-injury.

It’s when it won’t go away. That’s when you should be concerned.

1 Like

My eye lids twitch when I’m stressed. My upper lip, left side has been twitching as of late. Dunno if it’s anything, I’m weird though.

And for what it’s worth, I drink coffe ot other strong caffeinated drinks (anymore).

I got frequent eyelid twitching when I was drinking and lots of other twitches as well, Arm muscles, leg muscles and sometimes my upper lip. It has significantly reduced since I stopped drinking but my left eyelid still does it when I wake up. I’ve been sober three weeks now so for me it does seem to be related

Thanks everyone. My eye will twitch…usually before a migraine comes (only visual auras though, no headache). But this lip one is new and quite annoying. Maybe it is just the coffee, though I don’t think I drank any more than usual lately. We’ll see. Maybe it’s just a one time thing.

When I’ve quit before, I’ve gotten a month or two of random twitches in all different areas before they settled down. My suspicion is just overstimulation of various neural pathways as the brain adjusts the neurochemical cocktail to account for the reduced GABA activity (alcohol enhances GABA activity).

Like @Yoda-Stevie said, if it stays long term, that’s when it becomes more concerning. And electrolyte imbalance is a possible culprit too. It can really mess with proper muscle function. I don’t know which ones are especially important in the case of muscle twitching, but I do know magnesium deficiency is sometimes a result of prolonged alcohol use.

1 Like