Little White LIES

Obviously before we start the sober process, there are a bunch of lies we tell loved ones and coworkers, ect. Yet i feel that the biggest lie I tell is to myself. I always say that i am ready to quit, but am i? I tell myself to talk to a therapist and a psychiatrist and I never do. Even when i do, i lie to them and say my addiction is to alcohol and not what it really is. Does anyone else lie to themselves or convince themselves that something is nothing??

5 Likes

Not anymore, but I did lie all the time in active addiction. It’s very much part of addiction. Now I never lie to myself and restrict lying to others to only little white lies so as not to hurt feelings. Not lying, it’s so refreshing, so freeing. “The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you.” - David Foster Wallace.
Yeah, and expect to hurt for a while for the lying you are doing now. People sometimes are slow to forgive.
My favorite quote about lying:
“If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” - Mark Twain

lol I remember too well dancing around all of my lies trying to recall what I’d said to who! Addiction is a terrible roller coaster to be on, but you only get off when you are ready. Best of love and luck to you.

3 Likes

I was lying more and more to myself than I realized. Here and there I would say to my providers, “oh is not everyday so…”
It was close enough to everyday and ended up being everyday for a long time. You’ll get there. Something will click.

Very common in active addition yes.