Liver enzymes

I was just wondering if anybody has had any before and after bloodwork done to see what the liver enzyme levels are? While drinking and after being sober.

I had a bloodtest done for a life ins policy and am paying more because my enzyme levels were high. I was still full on drinking and had a hangover from the night before when they took the blood.
Im only a few weeks sober, but im wondering if its worth having it checked again anytime soon.

3 Likes

Not sure about enzyme but from what I read it takes 45 days to heal a fatty liver from drinking.

1 Like

If you liver emzyme levels are elevated, you should speak with your PCP about your alcohol use. Elevated liver enzymes levels indicate that damage to your liver is occuring. In my case, my liver enzymes returned to WNL quickly after I stopped drinking. However, a liver scan revealed fat deposits on my liver. This condition will resolve if I remain sober. You can’t live without your liver. At my AA meeting, a young woman reported her boy friend was dying from liver disease.

1 Like

Yeah, it was one of the motivating reasons for me quitting drinking since they are elevated. I had just met with my insurance rep and he haf asked about them so its been on my mind.

I had alcoholic hepatitis, after fatty before cirrhosis and it took about 3 months or so for the levels to be ok again. Take vitamins and eat well and dont drink and ull be a-ok

1 Like

@Jante76, I had a metabolic panel done when first trying to get sober. It showed elevated levels in my liver, of course. I stopped drinking and went back 3 months later. Everything was normal. I can tell you that it scared the crap out of me to think that this was killing me inside. I am 171 days sober, and have another panel scheduled for November. Your doctor will order the test for you if you just ask. Good luck and I hope you get good news soon!

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, when i found out my levels were elevated I freaked out. It took 2 years to finally do something permanent about it. I tried to just cut back like most, but that never works ;).
I need to be there for my kids so im going to schedule a visit with my doc.

2 Likes

I started taking Milk thistle while I still drinking, and they went back to normal. I’d check it out and see if your doctor says it’s okay to take.

My levels were double what they should be (whatever that is) but the doc said they’re reversible, so hopefully getting bk to normal now :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

My Liver while drinking was giving me problems told id better stop ,many a time , now that ive stopped i did my liver did recover still had a few prob with fats but down to diet so sorted that out and its prob the best orgin in this old body today lol

1 Like