Loneliness and rejection~Events that made me who I am today

Today something clicked. There is a hole in my life that can’t be filled by a behaviour or inanimate items. I’m lonely and scared.

My entire life I’ve been rejected. It’s hurt and has left its marks.

Family:
I’ve been rejected by my family for as long as I can remember.
I was never allowed to play with my sisters as I didn’t follow their rules. They would want to pretend to have a family in Playmobil and I’d just wanted to grab all attention by being loud and having my characters constantly blow up.
When we’d visit people, I was rarely allowed to play with them. I was too childish.
All my cousins used to do activities together from time to time. I was always excluded. My sisters weren’t. As a result, it doesn’t feel I have any family besides my siblings.
Some cousins were visiting my brother this morning at my house. I barely said a word. I was sure I’d be rejected, always have been. I know I was different, I had undiagnosed ADHD and ASD. I want to have a family. I want people to visit my birthday. But that doesn’t happen anymore. Few people truly care enough for me. There are people on TS who care more than my family, most I think actually. Because my family doesn’t care at all.

School and locals:
I’ve been to three elementary schools(age 4-12/grade 1-8).
My first was a good school. I don’t recall any major negative memories.
Then I moved and with that came a new school. I was rather problematic, likely due to my toxic home situation. But I never was targeted. Until I left that school because it was a pretty bad school. They started bullying me. They’d attack me with 20 at a time, never really hurt me though. I’d take off my wooden shoes and I’d start hitting them in the head(I was 8 and unwilling to have my ass beat).
But there was emotional pain. They rejected me and I didn’t know why until many years later. I was the school traitor. Fucking childish.
At my new school, everything was good. I was the new guy as I entered rather late, but I quickly made friends. But around the time I was 11, everyone was starting to mature, but I wasn’t yet. Likely due to my autism. In no time I was excluded from everything and all my friends except one turned on me. Children are evil.
I was so happy when I finally went to middle school. In my grade, everyone was smart and able to think about their actions. The first six months were great. And then they discovered how easy it was to make me aggressive(daily abuse never does anyone favours). They found it hilarious. The next year was hell. Then I started gaming. People noticed how good I was and wanted to play with me. All of a sudden I was accepted. I’ve been accepted at school since then.
But when I went to middle school, I also moved town again. Again made friends quickly. The first year was great. But one day, a bunch of sixteen-year-olds assaulted me(I was 13) after I defended my low-functioning autistic brother. I was there with a bunch of friends. No one helped me. They all laughed at me. My brother did too. My father blamed me: It must be my fault that I got bullied everywhere…
The next two years were hell. I was both bullied whenever I went into town and at school. At one point I even threatened a hometown bully with a pocket knife after he was fucking around with my bicycle. He called my bluff. But I wasn’t bluffing. I tried stabbing him, but my knife was blunt. I am very grateful for that. Had I succeeded, my life would probably have been a lot worse.
After my parents divorced I moved and never had any issues with neighbourhood people again.
I’ve been betrayed by many friends. I’ve been consistently rejected. My self-image has been scarred severely. I’m different and that’s bad. Society doesn’t want me…

Rehab:
Even in rehab, this shit happened. I was an easy target as I had chronic self-pity. A group of boys threw fries, cookie crumbs or whatever they could get their hands on at me. I stood up for myself, but they didn’t give a fuck. Eventually, the major part of the community started defending me which was heartwarming.
I also was assaulted there twice. The first time I had pissed someone off by asking them not to curse with cancer. They wanted to get out of rehab and there was a zero violence policy. So he decided to assault me. He pushed me, called me a cancer whore and tried tackling me. I have strong legs though, so that’s kinda hard. By that time a coach had already stepped in between, so I wasn’t able to register in time that he wasn’t playing but actually was trying to fight me which is a good thing. I’d have unleashed years of rage on him.
The second time, my roommate was losing at chess so he threw the table on me. For some reason that didn’t count as violence as I had to bunk with him the rest of my stay.

I’m 18 now and so far my life has consisted mostly of rejections. There are only 4 people who care about me or are my friends. My mom, my formerly abusive dad, my youngest sister and my best friend.
He’s the only person who comes to my birthdays. My oldest sister and her husband never contact me. They have barely spent any time with me after rehab. In their eyes, I’m still an annoying addict I think. They have not been able to see my change properly. There are two types of people who visit my birthday besides my siblings. My friends, which is one. And my mother’s friends who are really there for my mom.
I have many acquaintances from both work and school. But I’m too scared to really become friends. Why would they want to be friends with someone who’s different?
At least I have Bowie now. Even though he’s a dog, he cares more than most family.
Realizing this has been bitter sweet. For some reason the loneliness is amplified. But now that I’m aware, I can fight it.

I’m going to have a good chat with my therapist tomorrow.

14 Likes

Thanks André, I appreciate your kind words and wisdom :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is a lot you have to deal with @anon57836609
I feel with you. It took me several therapies and years of work to overcome the bullying bullshit at school. Children and teenagers are mean. That’s the reason why I never wanted children for myself. I always thought it’s a good idea that my family lines die out after me. I still think so.
I pray for you and send you a big hug! You are a wonderful person :orange_heart::hugs::pray:

2 Likes

Children are a special kind of evil. They are evil without knowing it. They don’t know they might scar someone for life.
I don’t know if I want children. I don’t want to turn out like my dad. That would be awful.

3 Likes

Hmmm, that’s an interesting approach, beeing evil without knowing it. You might be right in many situations. From my experience, children fucking exactly know what they are doing and how that effects others. Especially when it comes to deliberately excluding and bullying other children.

2 Likes

They are aware of being dicks. But they are not aware of the severity of their behaviour. They’re socially underdeveloped. They don’t know that they scar someone for life. They haven’t had enough life experience. And that is unfair to their victims, but also to them. And often the vilest of them were raised in abusive homes and think it’s normal to attack people. They do what they’ve been taught is normal. So in the end it’s hard to blame them. They are unaware of the harm.

1 Like

That is some deep introspection Jan. I think most people are 50 years old by the time they think that much about what makes them tick.

I’m so so sorry you have had to deal with so much adversity in your life, I don’t wish that on anyone.

I don’t have any wise words that will fix your problems but I can tell you that I have been through my fair share of traumas and painful experiences. After all was said and done, those experiences have made me more compassionate and more grateful than the average person. I can enjoy life more now because I’ve made it through those tough times.

Stay strong friend, I’m glad you plan on discussing it with your therapist.

3 Likes

You can flip this the other way around.

Personally, I’d rather know people who are different and interesting. Sooooo many basic, typical people out there. Everyone has something to offer, and I’ll take “different” 10/10.

You’ve got a long way to go, Jan. At 18 I was constantly depressed and alienated. My undiagosed/untreated rampant ADHD played a huge part in that, I was awful with social cues etc. I still struggle with genuine connection.
But it gets better if you keep open and keep at it, trust me.

6 Likes

Jan, my heart bleeds over the hurt and pain you’ve endured. No one coming for your birthday… I can’t say for sure but I think your mom cared but wasn’t able to express it. Idk.

Anyway, this is a big revelation. It’s a part of the process of healing and letting go. When I started my journey I had to look at the depths of my pain, allow it come up and find comfort in myself, my therapist, my trusted friends and my God. The past won’t change but as the pain lessens I start to see the good more clearly. So it’s worth it.

No wonder why you see children and youngster as cruel. I’m not challenging your experience. I’m saying that children follow examples of adults and other kids. They assimilate so they wouldn’t be excluded. Although they do understand right and wrong they aren’t necessarily mature enough to realise what consequences their actions have. Unless an adult educates them. It’s horrid what you experienced and I’m sorry there wasn’t appropriate adult intervention to stop it.

I would come to your birthday, 100% :partying_face:

2 Likes

It does get better, trust me. I also was very angry when I was a teen/20’s, and I grew up in a dysfunctional home, and I had a chip on my shoulder from being rejected so many times as well. I had to learn to love myself, and to let go of the anger, and to forgive myself the things I did when I was in survival mode.

You are ok, you are just fine the way you are. :purple_heart:

5 Likes

I agree with everything you say here. I think children are unknowingly cruel. So I don’t blame them. I could have very well been one of them.

My mom always cared about me. My mom would invite her friends to my birthday so that there would still be as many people as possible. She can be annoying as hell, but she is truly a great mom.

And I’m glad you’d come to my birthday :smiley:
I’d come to your party too, but I’d first have to go shopping for a unicorn onesie :joy:

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. It makes me stop to think about my own past and why I drank

Honestly, I don’t know how much it was that I was rejected or if I just THOUGHT they rejected me. My parents, my teachers/coaches, my peers…. Did they all reject me as “not worthy” or did I reject myself as not worthy and assume others must have too.

Either way this is why I drank. I was either trying to get people to like me (try to be fun/cool Susie) or wallow when I concluded they didn’t (I don’t need any of you, I got my wine).

6 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing. The feeling of loneliness is horrible . I hope that your life can be fantastic and that you can meet people that truly love you and care about you

2 Likes