Long Term Blahs

I will have 6 years in December. Lately I just don’t care about much. I’m without a car due to hitting a deer. I’m still recovering from heart surgery. I’m SICK of Zoom meetings! I just do not feel motivated to work my program is AT ALL. Is that something that happens after a person gets a few years sobriety? Is so, does anyone have any practical suggestions on how I can RE energize my program?

5 Likes

I’m not in a program, but I do try to pay forward what I received. And I keep working on bettering myself. In my own way. I’m not as far in as you BTW, three years and a few months now. I do believe recovery is life long work. Keep working it in a way that fits you. Success.

6 Likes

First off… Congratulations on 6 years!! That obviously takes alot of work to get there. I did have 3 years once (like almost 15 years ago) and I can say that at times I lost my passion for recovery and doing the needed work to stay happy, joyous, and free. When looking back I wished that I kept up that motivation to do the work bcuz I ended up relapsing after 3 years. I have abit over 5 months now and I do at times feel like I get complacent or I will get focused on the negative and what’s wrong with my life. Generally doing a gratitude list helps for me to see the positive in my life. Life is hard sometimes and sometimes it out right sucks. And that’s ok that we feel like that sometimes. But it’s important to not stay there too long. It doesn’t do us any good to focus on that negative bcuz addiction is sneaky and it waits around for the perfect opportunity to slide that drinking or using thought into our minds, lieing to us that a substance will ease our troubles. That’s what happened at 3 years for me. And bcuz I wasn’t doing my daily recovery stuff anymore, I lost focus and I went out for over a decade really struggling to get back to recovery. Sometimes we just need to almost force ourselves to do the healthy things we dont want to do. Bcuz they do help! And eventually u will get that motivation back :slight_smile: just stick with ur recovery tools, mtgs, whatever it is that had helped u. Get back to the basics of recovery :slight_smile: wishing u all the best!

5 Likes