Longer than I thought 🤔

So, today I went to church in the morning, and because it is Easter Sunday, the lesson was about resurection. And then I went to a meeting just after lunch and the daily reflection was about King Alcohol and how he stands waiting to draw us back. (No worries to those who are expecting a sermon, this is just to show my frame of mind today)…
If someone had asked me how long I have been an alcoholic, how long is it since I lost control of my drinking, I would say maybe a couple of years… That would have been a lie.
I would have been lying to the person who asked the question.

I have been lying to myself.

In all honesty, I have been lying to myself for around 38 years. I could try and defend myself by saying ‘I didn’t know I was lying to anyone’, I always had either an excuse or a justification.

In the beginning (no, not a bible reading!!), I probably started drinking about 14 years of age, but that was sporadic… When I was staying at a friend’s house, and somehow we managed to get some beer…
The problem started when I was 16 and had joined the navy. Then it became a problem. There were more times that I went to bed seeing double than not. But that excuse was because everyone else in my deck was doing it. I didn’t have a problem.
Then when I started my civilian life, myself and friends went to folk clubs, or other friends and myself went to discos, or I would drink in my local pub. Of course I did not have a problem, because I was no different to everyone else. The reality was that the folk club friends would have that one night… The disco friends would have that night, and the guys in the pub were not there every night… But I blinkered myself to them because I was normal, just doing what everyone else did. I did not realise I was the only one in the group who was doing it every night. Looking back I guess no one told me I was out of control because they did not see me in a state every night.

I then ended up living in South Africa for a while, and there is a big culture of drinking there, and so I drank not as much as my Africaans friends, but I had to drink more to prove… Now I am not sure what I was trying to prove, but I guess I proved whatever it was… But it was normal, everyone was doing it.

(I should point out that through all this time, I was smoking cigarettes and, of course, weed). So by the time I was in my mid twenties, my brain had been fried for at least a decade. The weed did (I know it doesn’t sound like it), help keep the drinking down…

During my time in South Africa, I got married. It may (or may not) come as a surprise that the marriage did not last. And so, I had the first excuse to allow myself to drink. Again I did not realise it was an excuse, but a rose by any other name is still an excuse… Forgive the paraphrasing.

Then I changed my job and began working in disaster recovery… This gave me THREE excuses at the same time. Obviously the first was my ex-wife. Cow that she was… Then obviously there was the need to be part of the disaster recovery team, and so we would drink together to build team spirit… Or some spirit anyway. But as we got exposed to more difficult situations, then we drank to relieve the stress of the day. (While still smoking copious amounts of whatever weed the locals could get for us).

Then there was the big one, I was a project manager, supervisor and team leader at 9/11. The morning it happened I was on holiday with my family (2nd wife, her children and my newborn son), we cut the holiday short, and a few days later I was checking into a hotel on gold street, New York. That gave me nearly 20 years of excuse to carry on my self destructive behaviour. I was on site for a period of months. Yes I do still have issues surrounding what happened there, but those issues have not been helped by adding alcohol. And if I had understood the reasons for my drinking, then maybe my mental health would not have fallen as low as it today. I am waiting for another round of therapy, but this time I will be going through it without the added baggage of a few tins and a couple of bottles, so maybe this time I can move on.
I did join a church about 5 years ago, and hid my drinking from them. And as I sit here, I feel really regretful about that. In fact, I would say that regret it the overwhelming emotion of my life.

I then considered the amount of money I was spending on the weed (you will note that the alcohol did not come into my thoughts at that point), and realised I needed to cut down on the weed. At the time, there was a legal high… Stronger and far cheaper than the real thing. So the logical option was to switch to that, because if it were stronger, I would not need so much, and it is cheaper anyway…
No, that was not the right thing to do. It was far more addictive than weed. Before that, I would spend money on weed, but if I really could not get any, it was not a big deal, if I had my booze. After trying the legal stuff, I had to have it every day, and it was never as strong as the day before. But then I heard it was going to be made illegal, and so I decided I had to stop that before it was taken away from me. I managed that, and that was possibly the very first tentative step I made to even considering I had a problem overall …

3 years ago, my father passed. And at that point I turned my back on the church, and this excuse was the biggest of all, so the quantity I was drinking went up by an order of magnitude. When I left the hospital, I bought a couple of bottles and was near comatose by breakfast time.

18 months ago, I had a cancer scare. Fortunately I was clear, but that was a strong enough warning for me to quit smoking. I stopped smoking tobacco and I stopped smoking weed. But my drinking increased again.

In November just gone, I managed to get myself onto a programme called smart recovery. It helped, and for a few months, I was down to drinking just a couple of times a week. But at this point I had come to terms with the fact I had a drinking problem. But there were some words missing, that I was still managing to hide from myself.

Unfortunately the provider of the smart recovery programme has been changed, and I am still waiting to find out when, or if those meetings are going to resume.

4 weeks ago, I made it to Church, and I was given a view of my life. I didn’t like that, so I had a few drinks to deaden the pain. Last week, there was no Sunday meeting at Church because of an online church event, so Saturday night I had a few drinks as I did not need to get up so early. But as I was staggering to bed, I decided to go to a meeting on Sunday.

I did follow through with the drunken idea, and I went to that meeting. Two things happened there. One, I downloaded this app, and found a world of people struggling just as I am. The second, and most importantly, I said the words last Sunday that I should have said 38 years ago.

Hi, I am Phil. And I am an alcoholic.

I am now 7 days sober. And with your help and the help of AA, I want that to become my permanent state of being. I have also learned that it is possible to stop. Stop the lying to myself and others; and stop drinking.

The world does not end when you put the bottle down. I am hoping that this is my resurrection to a new life, and today that is more important to me than I can say. (See, I did remember where I started :grin:)

Be strong, and one day at a time very quickly becomes a week …

20 Likes

These are powerful words. And true words. I’m glad you have accepted them.

I believe it is entirely possible to overhaul our life, change our ways, begin if not again, then at least once more, and transform into better, healthier, happier people from the broken lonely hurt nonfunctioning messes that we were. At the same time, I would like to stress that this is up to ourselves and the work we put in. You’ve chosen AA and Church and these are good, trusted, powerful tools where you can apply yourself and do your utmost to grow and change. Given to you is only the possibility - the resurrecting you’ll have to do yourself. It is wholly possible. It is a life long work of awareness and self care and other care.

Here are some more resources to add to your toolbox:
Resources for our recovery

Welcome here and I wish you the best for your journey. :slight_smile: :sunrise_over_mountains:

3 Likes

Thank you Phil @Prof for this open and powerful share :pray:
I don’t have much to say. I am grateful for your insights and sharing. I send you strength. And please allow me to offer you hugs :people_hugging::people_hugging::people_hugging: Your share is powerful.

2 Likes

Thank you for your words. My reason for the post was that I hope to show that after a dependency that has lasted longer than my official adult life at this moment, it is possible to change your outlook.
I know there is a long road ahead, and with the support of AA, my new family here, and church, I will succeed.
I have to be honest, and that does mean admitting that I need help.

2 Likes

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! 2 Corinthians 5:17

I keep this verse on my desk at work brother! I too was in the military for 8 years. I took my first drink at 13. I also like you participated sporadically but mainly stayed focused on high school on academics and sports. When I went to college, I began partaking heavily as everyone did it also. My first year in college I actually almost lost my scholarship but by a miracle I was only charged with minor in possession because I was truthful with campus police. There were many miracles along the way before I would surrender drinking to my faith. The last time I drank, I have no recollection of how I drove home, I was out far too late in a bar I should never have been in on a work day no less.

When I awoke the next day with a terrible hangover, I felt God softly tell me “son you must choose, I have given you a life through grace that you do not deserve by your choices. Despite the good you have done, you must either choose me fully and renounce this thing in your life that threatens to ruin you, or continue down this path and throw it all away, you cannot have both.” I knew that my miracles with drinking were running out and sooner rather than later they would catch up with me. So I took a stand and promised God and my family that I would choose them everyday over alcohol. That was 95 days ago today.

I have been in your shoes brother. I have had periods where I was in the sober cycle and felt I could control that dragon after extensive time sober. You have done perhaps one of the hardest parts….admitted you have no control. Now you must battle everyday to keep your sobriety because the enemy will seek to deceive you relentlessly. However, each day you emerge victorious is another link in your armor. That is how I view my days of sobriety, a coat of armor I will spend building over the course of my sober journey. Along the way I see it as my duty (since I’m a military guy) to use my story to help others build their armor against addiction. Together, this community is an army of strong, unique, loving, caring, wonderful people who are here to help you build your armor. Stay the course my friend, your coat of armor is a beautiful portrait in the making!

2 Likes

Hi Phil,
Great post, very honest and from the heart. I wish you well on your journey, you’re right, these one days add up. Keep adding each day :sparkling_heart:

After admitting you’ve been an active alcoholic for decades, now you can start learning how to be a recovered sober one. Your openness, willingness to try what is suggested, and honesty are the tools you can use to build the beautiful sober life you deserve.

1 Like

Very powerful post. Read like one of the personal stories in the last half of the Big Book. I’m grateful that you shared that. The day I surrendered to acceptance was my last day drinking.

2 Likes

Congrats on your new found sobriety!

Once again, thank you for all the positive replies.

I hope that this gives people hope. To be honest, it is also there to give me hope if I ever find myself trying to find another excuse. Not that I ever want an excuse again, but I have to be aware that king alcohol is always going to try to drag me back to his court …

1 Like

A great post to bookmark and re read if you need a reminder. It takes what it takes for sure. Keep fighting thru and doing what works for you!!