Losing long time friends

So I did my 40th year of camping with my best friends and had a bad night April 30th, but haven’t drank since. Has anyone been sober with a group of people you have known all your life to find they are non supportive, self hating people that you have nothing in common with except drinking together? I just found out I don’t like hanging with these people, and its sad because I considered them my best friends. It is almost a relief in ways but what now?

7 Likes

It’s still early days. For now, just focus on building sober strength, learning about your sober life. The most important relationship you’re working on right now, is your relationship with yourself - and that’s the one that matters. :innocent:

7 Likes

I don’t exactly have that problem but I do unfortunately have to live in a house of women who don’t really seem to take their sobriety seriously. That stuff bugs me when I seem to be the only one in the house with the most clean time and the only one that wants something different for their life. There is only so much you can say to someone about how life can be so miserable when you are not sober. Finally i just decided to keep to myself as much as possible and only talk to them when they want to ask me stuff or if I hear something that I dont agree on about sobriety. I am always there to lend an ear and give whatever advice I can but I dont go out of my way anymore. They say though that in early recovery you have to change people places and things and sometimes that means friends.

2 Likes

Honestly most of my friends were alcoholics so when I gave up drinking it meant those people too, except my best friend he quit with me. But you meet better people and develop a new version of yourself which means better people to add to your life who will support your decision to be sober

6 Likes

Yep. It was 7 years ago, and I had had the same tight-knight group of friends since I was 14 or so. I didn’t even have to quit drinking to see it. They were all drinking all the time and I was just trying to cut down so I could get my life straightened out. Suddenly I realized how untrustworthy they all were, at least when they were drunk, and that most of them only cared about themselves & couldn’t care less about me. I thought they had all changed so much, but it was me who had changed, and I was just seeing things more clearly. I am more careful of who I trust now, but I have a small circle of awesome people. It takes some time but it will be worth it in the long run.

3 Likes