Love addiction day 1

What do you mean by love addict? How do you define love? Cos how can ‘love’ harm you? Tinder is for sexdates last time I noticed people say. Unlikely to find love. I’m confused about your addiction, but of course welcome!

1 Like

Hi! Tinder is just one of many ways I look for men. My thing is, when I meet a guy, I get so addicted to the phone calls, the attention, the emails, the weekend dates, I feel like my entire life revolves around him. I gradually disappear and everything is about what HE wants, how I can be the perfect gf, I’m always available, always in a good mood, until I exhaust myself and in the end he decides I’m not “the one”. Meanwhile, I was getting ready for our happily every after… It’s my pattern. Over and over again I do the same thing, I let guys walk all over me, and they leave no matter how “perfect” I try to / pretend to be. And the I leap frog from a break up instantly into another date / relationship without even taking a breath. I feel like I’m drowning.

11 Likes

Idk how far along you are in your sobriety but something I’m learning while being single in my sobriety a major change from when I was a selfish drug addict always searching for pleasure hurting the woman I loved and unfortunately learning this lesson way to late and losing that woman I loved by cheating and lying and being abusive mentally to her and know learning how strong your love could be for that person. I’ve learned I’d rather go home alone and be home alone every night till I find someone I want to go home with, and be with every night is… I’d rather go home alone then go home with someone that makes me miserable or the person I don’t want to be with. I’m very proud of the self control I’ve learned in sobriety with my sexual desires now having meaning behind them. I’m not having sex, I’m not being intimate in person with people and that can be very lonely and it can be very fucking hard but it’s worth it. I had something special and ruined it with pleasure seeking and I know that’s not what your describing with your post but those apps become addicting your right. I hope you find what your looking for and find love in the right places this time. It’s so worth it and imo there’s nothing better than sobriety and a soul mate :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Thanks so much. I was in a relationship with an addict for 4 years and even though we ended I feel for you and I completely understand where you’re coming from. He was the addict, I was the enabler. Fast forward a few years, I’m still struggling with codependency, and the whole shebang that’s comes with it. I want to get to the point that you are talking about, it’s better to go home alone and feel peaceful that go home glued to my phone waiting for literally anyone to give me attention… that’s why I’m here. Thanks for your support. It means a lot and I hope you have a wonderful day!

4 Likes

Have you ever come across the book Codependent No More? There was a book study thread on it a while ago (I’ll link to it in a sec) and I keep meaning to go and add my thoughts to it now that I have a copy. Codependency has really messed with my life in the past few years and only recently am I pulling myself out of those tendencies.

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Book discussion: "Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself":

1 Like

Welcome @Zuz_Anna :heart: it sounds familiar to me from my past life and in one way i still suffer from it. I think the term is codependency and it has lots to do with alcoholism and other addictions too. I suggest you find some internet sources or books to read about it more.
You just nailed it. For exp the “disappearing” of self was so familiar to me. It was the same pattern always and I hated (and loved) it.
Im really happy you are here and you definitely are not alone. Hugs :hugs:

Edit: aah, @ifs already was talking about it :pray: didnt mean to be a parrot

2 Likes

Im going through the same thing you are.Tinder was one of my places to find attention. Day 2 for me (sex /love) addiction. Good to know im not going alone on this journey. Keep it up! :grin:

4 Likes

I have thanks. I used to go to Al Anon meetings (there is no SLAA here)… It is an amazing book.

2 Likes

Good luck! I’m really struggling!

1 Like

You can do this. You are a strong, independent, beutiful person!. You dont need validation from a toxic person that will ultimately bring you down. Start a relationship with yourself!

7 Likes

Congratulations on day 1 and I hope you have many more. I’ve never used/seen Tinder, but I’m sure removing that from your devices would be a great start. :blush:

2 Likes

Wow thanks guys. I’m really struggling today. I have a few men in my life that I talk to, but I know I can’t binge on them anymore. One day at a time.

1 Like

Have you told them your struggle and asked for their support?

Me to. Had a hard time sleeping last night because of it. Was hard not to re download it.

1 Like

Welcome. I can completely relate. Omg the stories I could tell you from my single days. I want from a shy guy to bring able to talk to any woman. My life was geared around being out and meeting women and getting into a relationship. These women never did really give me what I needed. Strange how we can turn our backs on close friends seeking ‘love’ when really their long term freindship probably a greater expression of love.

2 Likes

I’ve told one of them. Because we used to be close. Others, I don’t know them very well so I’m not sure …

There aren’t any SLAA meetings around where I love. How does the message group work? Do you guys send emails or texts? Is it on this app? Yes please add me!!

Tinder is my absolute bottom, I can spend an hour just swiping and after I feel like crap…

2 Likes

here play with these puppies for a few minutes :slight_smile:

stay strong friend

6 Likes

Sounds like you need to just cut them off then…