Book discussion: "Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself"

I’ve never organised a book discussion, but this book keeps coming up and there seems to be an interest, so at least I’m going to kick off a thread and we can figure it out from there. I don’t want to step on any toes of any pre-existing book groups/planned discussions (tagging @SweetTea) , so perhaps we can consider timing and what works for everyone. Also, this is the kind of book that one could either fly through, or want to take their time with to let it sink in. It’s probably also a fantastic read in preparation for the holidays when it’s easy to get caught up in family mayhem.

For me, this book was recommended to me by a therapist two years ago and it blew open a lot of issues for me. I would like to read it again now with a different, sober perspective, along with a year of solid Al-Anon work and more recently AA. I recall being disparaging about the 12 step stuff in there at the time I read it, but even when ignoring that, I got so much out of it the first time around.

So, tagging those with possibly an interest and we can take it from there:
@Sobergal91 , @kjm , @Meggers , @Jax1 , @Lionfish , @Redemption , @Eke , @MoCatt

Sorry if I forgot anyone - anyone with an interest, please jump in!

xx

11 Likes

Yay! Boooooookkkk Clllluuubbbb! #leggoo

2 Likes

So do we want to set goals of reading chapters by a certain date and or just posting reflections as we go along? Just curious

1 Like

I will give this some thought over night and aim to try to set up a plan tomorrow. I am thinking it might be helpful to discuss chapters at defined times throughout, rather than waiting until the end. Any suggestions or input from others? I can then think and collate any suggestions with an aim to post a plan tomorrow evening (ish).

1 Like

I’d love to read this with a group. Just need to get the book first!

2 Likes

Sounds good! Yes I’d suggest having a week for each chapter and discussing that chapter over the course of that week.

1 Like

Maybe a few days for people to get the book?

2 Likes

Flat broke but I’d still love to hear the discussions about this book even if I have to do it blind.

It’s been around for a while; I’ll bet you could get a library copy if you want to read it.

1 Like

Thanks @MoCatt and @anon34614660 . I honestly don’t know if I’m making excuses or being cautious about taking more on to my plate, but I feel myself hesitating to actually devote the time to reading it at this particular time.

2 Likes

Hmmmm…I’m assuming the updated one, but I don’t know that for sure.

1 Like

This is what I bought on Amazon

3 Likes

I got one from goodwill a while back for a dollar. It’s the second edition.

1 Like

Lucky!! Those are the best finds

IKR! I have a whole bookcase filled with books. I stopped doing that cause I would find so many good ones!

1 Like

Not stepping on toes at all. I messaged you.

2 Likes

Maybe @SweetTea has some pointers?

Mine’s on hold till I go into town tomorrow, a newer edition. Will check out the workbook while there (anyone else interested?). Hoping we do a chunk at a time. This guy’s got step work and exercise cooking in his free time, too, though I’m eager to knock out a chapter or two a week.

My interest is from recommendations of kindred spirits around the forum. Y’all haven’t steered me wrong yet! :smile:

3 Likes

And note you can switch from thread Tracking to Watching below if you want notifications. (I overlooked this feature for the lonnnnnngest time. :blush:)

2 Likes

My copy will arrive tomorrow!

1 Like

On the workbook (@Lionfish): Flipping through, the workbook looks to take the lessons and stories of the main book and frame them as a more explicit, step-by-12-step guide to working the ideas in one’s life where one should be so inclined. For those recovering from addiction, affected by those with addiction, and of course, those in the mires of codependency, period.

Looks interesting! I picked one up.

3 Likes