Low energy, sober from booze

Hi folks,

I’m new to sober life. Been drinking for the past 40 years. Sometimes every second day (never daily, my body could never handle that, ever) but mostly twice per week for past couple years.
A few beers to start then straight whisky has been past few years (half a litre per eve, straight on rocks).
Question, my energy seems to be zapped and can’t motivate myself to move… I’m day 11 on, and have no desires to drink again. Nothing happened, just tired of hangovers and taking a couple days to recuperate.
I’m Semi retired for past two years living a great life on the coast of Nova Scotia, and have lots of hobbies and interests, but lately can’t find motivation to do anything even though I have some fun projects lined up.
Does this pass? Should I just allow my body some time after imbibing in booze for so long?
Appreciate any insights and apologies for long winded note.

19 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober Nick! Glad you found your way here. Please never apologize for sharing your story, it’s what this place is here for, as well as supporting each other in our sobriety and Recovery, to learn from each other, and to have some fun too when you’re into that.

As to your question: seems to me like a simple case of your body having to readjust to being without alcohol. Give it some time. Eat well, rest well, hydrate. When it persists a visit to the doctor might be an idea.
Of course your mind needs to adjust to being sober too. Feelings of emptiness and some depression can creep in. That’s where contacts with other people become important (like us!) It will become better, just as long as you try and work on the new you (the sober you that is).

Small steps. Do one thing you like today. Repeat tomorrow. Nothing too big. Make an effort to do so. Better times will come. Rome wasn’t build in a day and one day at a time.
Welcome again and glad to have you aboard. Hope to hear/read more from you and your journey. All success Nick @Chevy55 .

11 Likes

Welcome @Chevy55 !

Alcohol withdrawl fatigue is very common, infact some articles say its the most common symptom. Many people also experience insomnia or changes in sleep patterns which will make you even more tired during the day. I suffered from both of those.

Give it time, it usually gets better after a few weeks. While it may not be curable, some things may help.

Eating a healthy as you can; whole foods, unprocessed foods, eating often
Going to sleep and waking at the same time everyday
Exercise daily, even if its only 30 minutes
Melatonin an hour before bedtime can help you fall asleep

Hope that helps!

6 Likes

Appreciate the reply. I think you are right (or am hoping). Just need to allow my body to recover. I’m always impatient that it should be quicker, but now that I’m almost 57, I guess things just don’t rebound as quickly as they once did.
Besides staying sober, I’m hopeful to begin exercising with a bit more consistency and vigor, as well as lose this extra weight I’ve been carrying around for the better part of two decades and get some newer medical issues straightened away.
Best

4 Likes

Welcome Chevy!

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Sleeping has been decent and me and melatonin don’t work well together… lol. Took some a few years back to help with occasional insomnia and wow, wow, what insane dreams I had. To the point when I awoke I still believed I was losing my mind. But again, fortunately sleeping isn’t a major issue. I typically get about 8 hours per night. And awake at 5am most days.
I’m usually fairly active so this energy drop is not usual for me, but again I’ll give it a couple more weeks and see if I need to address.
Otherwise I am feeling pretty great. Have taken a liking to string quartet music after wife and I attended a live show the other night. As well starting to enjoy Celtic style music while reading… my windows overlook the ocean on east coast so it seems fitting and quite relaxing.
Best

4 Likes

Welcome to the community! You’ve gotten some great replies, I second everything, especially about giving your body and mind plenty of time to find an equilibrium. It’s great that you’re sleeping well! Insomnia can be a common issue people deal with. Hope to see you around the forum!

1 Like

Welcome!! From my experience (I was 56 when I ended my 40+ drinking career), it does take time to heal and find an equilibrium. Your body mind and spirit need time to restore and heal. I was exhausted and edgy and off for a long while. Everyone is different in their healing / sobriety journey. If you can get out for some well bundled up walks, the air did (and still does) me a world of good.

Terribly jealous of your view. I was born and raised in Maine and miss the rugged coast. I hope the recent storms bypassed you.

Hope to see you around!

3 Likes

Thank you, the views and air does do wonders. I just took the doggos for a walk and a bit of ball fetch. On a private lane with one other home so we have the run of the area (literally), haha.
I assumed as much and appreciate the healing will take time, but until then I will appreciate all that I have and listen to stories from the group to pull inspiration from.
Storms have mostly missed this year other than a really good blow after a Christmas, but so far no snow, so I’ll take it after being in BC for 27 years on the coast out there I prefer rain…
Best

1 Like

Thank you :heart:

Welcome to the family :blush:

Be kind to yourself. Early sobriety isn’t easy and your body needs adjusting. Eat well and healthy. Drink lots of fluids like water or herbal teas. Research vitamins or supplements to help you in your journey. B vitamins are a favourite to boost energy levels. But if this doesn’t get better, or you have any concerns, you have to go to your doc and be open about your alcohol consumption.
:squid:

3 Likes

Thank you.
I am trying to be kind to myself, give myself time to adjust and just be in the moment for the time being.
The abstinence has been easier this time so far, so I will continue with how I have been handling things. Moving more slowly, thinking more thoroughly, enjoying music more deeply. Just being right now is enough. Early to bed and early to rise, more reading and more relaxing is my motto for the time being.
I wish you all well in your journey of sobriety, in whatever form that takes. :heart:

6 Likes

Easy does it it isnt a race wish you well on your journey

2 Likes