Lunar Eclipse and Letting Go

Today/tonight we have a total lunar eclipse. Every lunar eclipse is a full moon, but not every full moon is an eclipse for astronomical reasons I won’t go into here; and as such, a lunar eclipse is like a very powerful full moon on an energetic level. Astrologically, the full moon is a great time to end something, to let it go. This is because we have reached the end of the moon’s waxing phase and from here on out it will wain until it is “born again” into a new moon–which is a great time to begin something new.

There are many things you may wish to let go of–bad habits, a relationship that isn’t working, a crappy job, the stuff in your garage, or maybe a few pounds. But this is a sobriety forum, and what people want to give up when they come here are substances and activities that have taken control of their life and often caused massive amounts of pain and destruction on an internal and external level. So we are here to let go of those things so that we can make way for something better in our lives.

This lunar eclipse takes place in Scorpio, which is a deep and penetrating sign. Ruled traditionally by Mars and by Pluto in modern times, this is an energy full of emotional force of will. Of all the signs, Scorpio is the only one that has three symbols that represent it–the scorpion, the eagle, and the phoenix.

The scorpion is the lowest vibrational form of Scorpio. This is our base emotions. It is where we express all kinds of negative and self-destructive emotions such as anger, fear, jealousy, hate, etc. The scorpion energy is protective of itself and afraid of being hurt. As such, the scorpion often strikes out at others or turns that destructive nature inward to harm itself. Drugs, alcohol, self harm, gambling, unfettered sexual activity, eating too much or nothing at all, etc., are all ways that we harm ourselves, and ultimately harm others through our actions. It is all about us in this way. We want to escape, not feel pain, have fun, feel good, or whatever other reasons we have.

But as Scorpio transcends these lower vibrational levels, the eagle emerges. We step outside of ourselves. We look at who we are, what we’ve become through all the actions we’ve taken up to this point in our lives, and decided we want more. The eagle is consider a symbol of courage and power. And it does take courage to decide to change, to do something new, to trust that you can fly when all you’ve ever done was stay on the ground. This is where we learn to step outside of ourselves, where we learn to look at ourselves from a different angle with the hope to learn and grow. This is where we understand that we do have power, that we are not just “little me” or “no one”, and that we really can do anything we put our minds to.

And that’s where the transformation of the Phoenix happens. This is where we arise from the ashes of our old lives, or old habits, our old patterns of self-distruction and the chaos of our past. The Phoenix is where we are reborn into something new because we have let go of the old familiar ways of the past for the unknown. And the unknown can be scary, but it is only within the unknown that we can find something different.

It is with this power of Scorpio that we pass through this intense lunar eclipse energy. As such, this is an excellent time to make a goal or commitment to let go of that thing that you know needs to go. For many of you, that is your addiction(s). For others of you who have long left your addiction(s) behind and have a high number on your counter, it will be something else. Scorpio asks you to dig deep, to be brutally honest with yourself. This is an excellent time to do that, and then let go of what you find. Only you can really know what that is for you.

Regardless of what sign your sun is in, that sign that you tell people you are, this energy will effect you in some form or another. Since I know some people will wonder, I will take a quick breakdown of the signs: If you are a Scorpio or a Taurus, it will likely have a very strong effect. The Leos and Aquariuses here may come into this energy with difficulty, and those of Aries, Gemini, Libra, and Sagittarius with some annoyance; while Cancers, Pisces, Virgos, and Capricorns may find that this energy flows more easily.

But the truth is that you can’t base things only on your sun sign, as the sun is only one little part of your personal astrology. The point is that this lunar Eclipse isn’t just for Scorpios. This energy is there to work with for anyone willing to take that leap of faith and make a change.

Now is the time to let go and fly, my friends. It is time to leave the scorpion behind and become the Phoenix.

20 Likes

6 Likes

So interesting @Chiron thank you! I am studying Jyotish at the moment so I loved reading this perspective :pray:t2: :earth_americas: :ringer_planet::dizzy::last_quarter_moon_with_face:

2 Likes

Thank you @Chiron for taking the time to write this and for sharing it with us! :sunglasses::metal:t2:

5 Likes

So I guess last night was a fitting time for this :scorpion: to close the door on his job for nine years. It sure feels good. :sunglasses:

11 Likes

My friend took these pictures last night…

13 Likes

@S0BERman and @DLS Thank you for sharing your pictures! Some clouds rolled in about an hour before in my area, so I missed most of it. The moon finally cleared the clouds, but the shadow had lifted about 1/4 the way by then.

@Vix You’re welcome. Good luck in your studies!
@Rockstar24777 You’re welcome, Rob. :slight_smile: Thank you for reading it!
@Mno I would say so. What interesting timing. Good for you!

3 Likes

Appreciate your post, @Chiron - good food for thought for this Taurus here :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks for the post! I did go outside at 11:11pm to see it (11:11 was Max eclipse for my area) I did see it in and out of clouds, it was pretty cool. Of course clouds cleared completely around 11:35!

:roll_eyes: I’m a Libra, must be why I was annoyed, lol

4 Likes

Love seeing this here :heart: I woke up Sunday morning with the strongest sense that this time, this is really it. I have to change. And I don’t believe it’s a coincidence that my mindset shifted the day the Eclipse was occurring :last_quarter_moon_with_face:this is truly such a powerful time.

2 Likes

First time in years there were clear skies in my area when something in the sky was happening.

5 Likes

A local photographer caught some photos and made a composite. Pretty remarkable.

9 Likes

Letting go is my very favorite thing! Thank you for sharing!! :heart::heart:

☆●☆ let go, or be dragged ☆●☆

6 Likes

Thank you for writing and sharing this. :milky_way::pray:

1 Like

That was so interesting to read!! And honestly everything you described about letting go and changes, it pertains to my life right now. Thank you so much. Cool af!! :black_heart::black_heart:

2 Likes

I’m glad you found this helpful and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

1 Like